View Full Version : Need help with kitchen sink disaster.

06-03-2011, 09:08 PM
I noticed a small pole of water leaking from under my cabinet today. I opened it up only to see giant puddles of black water everywhere. My pipe had burst and it was a huge mess.



So I go down to the hardware store to get some parts, and they gave me a P-Trap (I think I'm saying that right, the pipe that looks like a backwards J), a wrench, and some putty. I go home and attempt to install the new P-trap. The left hand bolts come off fine, but when I go to remove the right hand ones, EVERYTHING CRUMBLES!



[URL="http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/534/photo0763z.jpg/"] (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/818/photo0762.jpg/)

I couldn't believe what happened, I didn't mean to make things worse. Now the pipe that was connecting to it is totally destroyed as well and I don't know what to do. I am terrified and I don't want to live like this. What do I have to do? Please help me.

06-03-2011, 09:18 PM
You need to remove the trap arm from the pipe in the wall, then put a trap adapter on the on the theaded pipe.Then install new trap arm and P-trap.

06-03-2011, 09:23 PM
I keep trying to get a grip on that nut with my wrench but it won't stay on.
It keeps slipping and shaking.

I've never done this before and I'm afraid if I apply too much pressure it'll make things even worse.

06-03-2011, 09:59 PM
Nope just grab on to it and bust it loose.

There isn't anything there that will break unless it already needed replacing...

I usually just use a pair of channel lock pliers...

06-04-2011, 08:14 AM
You would have the part you need to replace if the hardware store had sold you a "complete" P trap instead of just the ""U" bend. If you damage the slip nut on the pipe from the wall, use one from the old P trap to replace it. You will need a new gasket/washer, however. Either take your J bend back and get a P trap, or buy a "wall bend" to replace the broken one.

Gary Swart
06-05-2011, 09:30 AM
And return the plumbers putty while you are there.

06-05-2011, 11:25 AM
And return the plumbers putty while you are there.

Unless you are replacing the basket strainer, that is the only place you would use it in the kitchen.

Gary Swart
06-05-2011, 02:31 PM
I should have added to my advice about returning the putty, that you don't need Teflon tape or any other sealant on slip joint fittings. Assemble hand tight then a little more with channel lock pliers or a small pipe wrench. Don't over do it. If you don't get them quite tight enough, then a little more tightening will stop a small drip.