View Full Version : changing house supply connection

06-02-2011, 07:36 PM
I need to change my main house shutoff from a gate valve to a ball valve. I have 3/4" soft copper coming in and 1" galvanized pipe inside. What is the best way to make this connection?

06-02-2011, 08:10 PM
can you send a picture not enough info.

06-02-2011, 09:10 PM
I can't get a picture now. It's an old house. I have 3/4" soft copper to a compression fitting, then a threaded gate valve (1"), then a galvanized union (1"), then a short galvanized nipple (1"), and a galvanized tee to go into the house (1") and into a hose bib(1/2").

06-03-2011, 06:23 AM
The obvious answer would be to use a 1" ball valve and spend a couple of hours to adjust the galvanized piping as necessary, possibly making multiple trips to the Ace Hardware store, to make it fit. Or call a plumber who can do the whole thing in a matter of a half hour or so.