Help! I broke the threads from the aerator off in the faucet!

Users who are viewing this thread

Tabitha

Reaction score
Okay, I did a big goober and really need some advice. I was trying to replace the aerator on my bathroom sink with a quick release aerator and having never changed an aerator before I did not pay attention to the gasket. The gasket I used was not thick enough and when I put the new aerator on I kept getting water spraying out. So i kept tightening the aerator until I could no longer tighten it. Afterwards I went to the hardware store and realized they sell gaskets in different thicknesses and I also realized that a thicker gasket would most likely solve my issue. So after purchasing a variety pack of gaskets I went home to remove the over-tightened aerator and put a new gasket in it. However, after a turn or two, the aerator popped off, leaving most of the threads still in the faucet. Now what?

I've tried to take a screw driver and pry loose the remaining threads. I looked with a mirror to see if there were any gaps that I could possibly grab a hold of - there are none. Before I do any more damage, I thought I would ask for help and see if anyone had any advice or suggestions. Should I just replace the faucet? It is as old as the house - ~35 years and cheap to boot. How hard is it to replace a faucet?

Thanks in advance!
Tabitha

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
faucet

It's so awkward to get to and the threads are so fine.
I think its a waste of time.
Replace it!!

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Replacing a faucet is not difficult, EXCEPT the old one may have stuck or rusted hardware. I find that a mirror and an ice pick or dental pick will usually dig out the threads of the old aerator.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks