Pipe Heat Tape Too Long

Users who are viewing this thread

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
I have about 16in of a pipe that is prone to freezing. Beyond that length, the pipe is not accessable. I bought a pipe heat tape with a thermostat that plugs in and keeps it warm when it's below freezing. Problem is that it's 36in long (minimum length) and it says not to cut it, spiral it or double back on it. What should I do with the extra 20in of wire? Just hang it somewhere in air? Surrounding area is wood. It's only a few watts.

Thanks,
Jason

asayers

Reaction score
Heat tape

I have a shower in an exterior wall. I am currently putting it in place as part of a remodel and have no other place to put it. Can I put heat tape within the wall?

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
IF IT'S COPPER PIPE:

I would start the free end at the point where the pipe enters the inaccessible cold area and would spiral it so there is at least 3/8" of clear space between the spirals. If you can fish an inch or so into the inaccessible space, I would do that. Attach it to the pipe with a Ty-Rap or some good tape.

Then spiral it for the length of the accessible pipe (with 3/8 spacing) and fasten it at the end of the 16" length of pipe. Depending on the diameter of the pipe and the width of the tape you may not have much left. Increase the spacing if necessary to get full coverage.

You usually want the thermostat in contact with the pipe. You may need to run it straight over the length of the thermostat to get the thermostat in contact with the pipe if that is the instruction.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks