View Full Version : Can these shower faucets handles fit my shower faucet?

11-02-2005, 08:00 AM
Can anyone tell me if the shower faucet handles shown in this photo will fit my shower faucet, also shown? Is this stuff standardized or do I need more information from the manufacturer of the shower faucets?

Apologies for the small size of the photo with my faucet set-up. The size restrictions on this site for file attachments are extreme.


11-02-2005, 12:38 PM
Those look like old American Standard handles and they look very nice.
Can't tell what make that faucet is in that picture.
Most handles are all different.

When shopping for replacement handles you need to buy a handle like the one that came with the faucet. Otherwise you probably will end up with a fitz-all handle and most plumbers don't reccomend that. I wouldn't let any one talk me into that...

11-02-2005, 03:21 PM
There are at least a dozen different "standard" broach sizes ( that is the spline or groove area on the stem that the handle slips onto.) This is the reason handles are not generic, but usually fit only a specific brand.

master plumber mark
11-02-2005, 04:36 PM
they will probably not work on that old piece
of junk you got in the wall....

why in the world dont you just change
out that faucet while you have the wall
open and the faucet alreaady exposed

why would you want to rig someting up
when its almost going to be easier to just change the thingout??

you canget a peerless facuet with those
exact porcleine handles for abou t75 dollars

11-17-2005, 07:05 AM
I decided to swap out the entire shower faucet unit. Even though I knew how many splines I needed for the handles, I couldn't find the right size stems to fit the valve. Now I've got this Price Pfister faucet and showerhead system and I have an unexpected problem.

I'm going to run copper pipe up from the valve to the showerhead and down to the tub spout. But, the problem is that I can't screw in all the way the threaded coupler that I'm going to solder onto the copper pipe. I'm not new to screwing in things. This puppy just won't go in any further than it does in this photo. This is not just finger tight, this is wrench tight.

I'm not sure what to do. On the one hand, if it doesn't go in any further, than it must be tight enough to serve my purposes. On the otherhand, I've never heard of not screwing in a piece all the way. As far as I know, there's only one size threaded coupler that I can buy to fit a 1/2" copper pipe, so I don't think I have the wrong size piece.

Any thoughts or suggestions?


11-17-2005, 07:45 AM
Your fitting looks about right. Remember that pipe threads are tapered. The proper procedure is to tighten snug by hand, then by wrench until snug. If you are talking about the fact that you can still see threads, that is normal. If a fitting went together so that all the threads disappeared, NOW something is wrong.

One thing, I do not see in the picture that you used either teflon tape or a paste-type thread sealant. If you did not, take it apart and redo.

11-17-2005, 07:57 AM
Ok. So as long as the fitting is snug I won't worry about the threads sticking up. Perfect.

I didn't use Teflon tape because this was just a dry fitting to see if everything worked. When I install it I will definitely use Teflon tape.

Thanks again.

11-17-2005, 05:06 PM
Becareful if you use teflon and then solder . you are better off using pipe dope ,it can handle the heat better . Also, remember to remove the plastic stems,etc before heating the valve,,,you will have plastic mush if you don't .

11-19-2005, 10:28 PM
I finished installing the plumbing last night. :D I was thrilled to find no leaks in the copper pipes or PVC trap. However, I think there's a small leak in the drain where the drain meets the inside of the tub. :( The instructions said to put plumber's putty on the underside of the drain plate, and then fit the rest of the drain into it from the underside of the tub.

I wonder if I didn't put enough putty and that's where the leak is coming from? How do you tell if you've used enough putty?

I read somewhere that you roll the putty into a log and wrap that around the drain and then press down. My putty came with a brush which I used to brush the stuff on. Is that wrong? Is this two different products?


11-20-2005, 05:00 AM
Putty is like a wad of molding clay that you make plyable by rolling it back and forth in your hands.

I think you got pipe compound mixed up with plumbers putty.

Get the tool that you used to tighten that drain fitting, take it out and wipe off the pipe dope and put it back in with plumbers putty.

02-12-2006, 05:20 PM
I'm obviously missing a piece here but I'm not sure what I want. This is the drain hook up for the bathroom sink. The stub-in pipe in the wall has a 1.5" threaded male PVC piece sticking out. I found a coupler that is 1.5" pvc threaded female, but I don't think this will work because when I insert the P-trap kit, there's nothing to really hold the chrome piece in there. Don't I need something to fit over the crome end and screw back into a different kind of coupler?

What am I missing?

02-12-2006, 06:28 PM
The trap may be 1 1/4". You need a slip washer that is 1 1/4 ID X 1 1/2".

That will make it fit.