Wax Ring Replace (Toilet Placement)

Users who are viewing this thread

Molo

Reaction score
Hi,

When removing a toilet for wax ring replacement where is the best place to set the toilet. I ask because it seems impossible to remove all of the water prior to tipping it on it's back for applying the wax ring.
Is there a way to remove ALL of the water, or should I be looking at a large tub to set the toilet into (not the bathtub?)

Thanks,
Bill

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A sponge can get most of the water out, but, the pros set the wax on the flange, then set the toilet down over it rather than placing the wax on the toilet, and having it fall off when they pick up up again. I know what the instructions say, but it does work better the other way!

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Most shop vacs suck water just fine, and that's what he meant!?

Molo

Reaction score
A sponge can get most of the water out, but, the pros set the wax on the flange, then set the toilet down over it rather than placing the wax on the toilet, and having it fall off when they pick up up again. I know what the instructions say, but it does work better the other way!

If it is possible to set the ring on the flange and not the toilet I am certainly going to start doing this. Are there any tricks to this method?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I find this to be helpful for me. After you put the flange bolt in place, screw a nut down the bolt to hold the bolt upright and in position on the flange. There is plenty of room under the toilet to do this. Now the bolt is standing straight up and will remain in place even if bumped by the toilet when you lower it on to the wax ring. As noted, a wax ring is set on the flange first. A waxless ring works best if you mount it on the toilet first. That is NOT what the installation instructions say, but that's what the pros do. I use a shop vac and sponge to get the water out of the tank and bowl.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
If replacing a wax ring, the old wax would have squeezed under and around the bolts pretty much holding them in place. I've always just set the new ring on the flange. Can't say that I ever read the instructions so didn't know there was any other way to do it.

Molo

Reaction score
I find this to be helpful for me. After you put the flange bolt in place, screw a nut down the bolt to hold the bolt upright and in position on the flange. There is plenty of room under the toilet to do this. Now the bolt is standing straight up and will remain in place even if bumped by the toilet when you lower it on to the wax ring. As noted, a wax ring is set on the flange first. A waxless ring works best if you mount it on the toilet first. That is NOT what the installation instructions say, but that's what the pros do. I use a shop vac and sponge to get the water out of the tank and bowl.

I agree, it is much easier to place a nut on the bolt to hold it in place while setting the toilet. You still have to be careful not to turn the bolt during tightening as it can slip out of the flange. It seems like a lot of problems would be solved if the flanges had bolts built into them.
I've been inspired to try setting a toilet on the wax ring, rather than install the ring on the toilet first.

Thanks,
Bill

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Molo, the way flange bolts are configured, flat, oblong heads, it is not likely you will turn the bolt when tightening. You should not use brute force when tightening them anyway, the primary purpose of the flange bolt is to prevent the toilet from moving, not to squeeze the toilet into the wax. Just your body weight should compress the toilet into the wax.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
And, I might add, if the toilet is mounted on a tiled floor, the bolts likely WON'T hold it from moving. This is a second reason to use some caulk around it. The first reason for caulk is to prevent dirty mop water, stray urine, etc., from finding its way underneath where it is nearly impossible to clean it properly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks