View Full Version : Replacement of Metal ring on closet flange and filling holes

05-20-2011, 11:49 AM
We bought our current home about 2 months ago. Last week, I went to replace a toilet on the first floor of the house. The toilet rocked quite a bit, but didn't think anything about it at the time. Removed the toilet and of course the seal on the wax ring had broke. The metal ring on the flange was rusted so I removed it. I have a replacement ring ready to go, but I have a question before I do.

It is an offset closet flange and water had been setting around the flange for a while. Although it never leaked to the exterior of the toilet, it did do a fair bit of damage to the mortar and concrete surround the flange. Meaning that some of it was so saturated that it just crumbed when I poked it with a screwdriver. That has been cleaned up, but now I have a small divot in which the flange sits. I was planning on mixing up a little concrete to fill the divot. Is this a good idea, bad idea? Should I fill with some other substance? I just don't want a reservoir for any future leaks.

TIA for your help,


05-20-2011, 05:27 PM
Mix up a batch of Hydraulic Cement and fill in the bad area after you chip out all the rotten stuff.

I hope you are using the Oatey Moss Bay Replacement Flange Ring (http://www.oatey.com/Channel/Shared/ProductGroupDetail/726/Moss+Bay+Replacement+Flange.html)

Secure it with TapCon screws.

05-22-2011, 08:37 AM
Thank you for your reply. I am not using the Oatley Moss Bay, but I am using the same style of stainless repair ring. They didn't sell the Oatley at our box store. They sold one made by Sioux Chief. I know I may be making a forum faux pas, but is there a big difference between the two?

05-22-2011, 10:33 AM
I know I may be making a forum faux pas, but is there a big difference between the two?

No Such Thing! Sioux Chief is a great company with many fine products... I use many of them...

The product you are describing is the "Ringer" which is a one piece stainless steel ring designed to fit over a flange that has a bad ring.

The Product I cited the Oatey - Moss Bay, is also sold by Raven Products as the 2 Piece Repair Flange - for PVC/ABS closet flanges #BFR7900. This product does not simply fit over but it actually clamps onto the groove on the plastic portion of the closet flange the original ring was secured in. The upper flat portion of this flange is where the actual water and gas tight seal is made. Any movement of this part of the flange can break the seal. IMHO it is better to use a ring that can secure the plastic portion of the flange in place. That is why I would consider the Oatey or Raven Products ring to be superior over the Sioux Chief Ringer....