new cabin bathroom - studor/oatley vents

Users who are viewing this thread

muldoon

Reaction score
I have what is essentially a hunting cabin that is 16x24 gambrel style barn. Over the past few years I have added insulation, electrical and some walls. I am now getting ready to put in a very meager bathroom and would like some advice. Quick point, no building codes, unincorporated area, no permitting. I want to do it correct because I do not want any problems with it, but I also do not need to overbuild for a bathroom that might see 1 weekend a months use 9 months out of the year.

4x4 upright shower, toilet, sink, basically lined up next to each other on a 12' wall. On the other side of that wall a single kitchen type sink roughly where the sink is on the other side. All the water plumbing would be within a 10' span.

In the middle of that section is the toilet, the toilet would sit directly in front of the main drain/vent stack and connect to the drain pipe. The drain being a 4" that goes under the cabin to septic away from cabin, and extends up like a vent stack would in the wall.

For shower, under floor drain with trap, coming back to a main 4" drain.
Next the toilet goes into the drain.
above that drain have the two 1.5" drains for the two sinks.

Those should be all the drain lines egressing to the septic. For venting,

Above all of those, have first the shower come back into the main vent, then the sinks. Something like a christmas tree effect.

All fixtures have a path for water, and a path for air going back into the same main drain stack well above the highest water drain.

Now for the meat of my question, can I avoid doing a roof penetration with Studor type vents with this minimal of a usage? Actually I likely would finish the top of the main vent/drain with a tee, then put one of these vents on each end. (Since it is mechanical, two is better than one I am thinking). They will be semi-accessible in the overhead space over the bathroom. a panel style access area that will also hold a bosch 6 gallon hot water heater.

Any thoughts on this plan?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Studor vents require at least one "normal" vent to the outside. They can not be used as the sole venting system.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
A 4" main drain should have a 4" vent stack out the roof. A single roof penetration can vent all the plumbing in the building.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
With a septic tank and NO conventional vent through the roof you will essentially have a "closed system" which could drain poorly, or in some cases not at all.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks