Are American Standard sinks worth buying?

Users who are viewing this thread

pixlaw

Reaction score
So I'm re-doing a bathroom, and following the general consensus here I've decided to go with a Toto toilet. But how about the lav sink? I need a small pedestal sink, and American Standard makes one sold at Home Despot which would fit in my space just fine, and isn't too expensive, but I really don't want to buy one if it's crap. Here's a link to the one I'm interested in: Colony 21" Pedestal Sink Model #: 0115.411, 0115.811,

I 'm guessing that sinks would be less problematic than toilets, since there are fewer moving parts and those that do move are installed separately from the porcelain installation. So what opinions have you? Should I just buy the American Standard, or is there some reason not to?

Thanks for the advice.

Colony 21" Pedestal Sink
Model #: 0115.411

Attachments

• amst_0115.411.jpg
    amst_0115.411.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 422
Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The lav should be fine. I've installed plenty of American Standard lavs.

Toto also carries pedestal lav too. You can find them on their web site.
The pricing on the one pictured above is pretty good though.

pixlaw

Reaction score
And how about Westbrass?

Thanks for your opinion. Now, second question: My plumber has recommended Moen or Delta for the hardware, but they're pretty bloody expensive. How's the quality of Westbrass, which I can find online for $100 less?

From the comments in the forum to date, I haven't seen any complaints about Westbrass lav faucets, but I figure it's better to ask now, rather than spend the $ and then find out it wasn't a good idea.

Thanks once again for your help.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
When it comes to faucets, you pretty much get what you pay for. You might not find out it is a bad idea for a few years until they have to be repaired and parts are NOT available locally, if at all.

Last edited:

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
Looked at westbrass site and did not see faucets listed,never heard of till now I would go with moen they have a life time warrenty, tried and true.
And what HJ said!

Last edited:

pixlaw

Reaction score
O.K, but given the ease of ordering stuff online these days, that doesn't bother me as much as it might. And Westbrass claims, at least, to have been around for upwards of 60 years, which suggests their products are good enough to keep them in business.

pixlaw

Reaction score
Sorry cwhyu2, we posted at the same time and I didn't see your reply until I finished. I see your point. I'm thinking the faucet I'm looking at may be a discontinued product, which explains why it's so cheap.

Sigh.

OK. I'll bite the proverbial bullet and buy Moen or Delta.

Thanks for the input.

PM5K

Reaction score
I've bought cheap and more expensive, no question there's an obvious visible difference. If you have Tuesday Mornings they sometimes carry Delta faucets, most likely one model back from the latest.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
When you have a broken faucet, it makes no difference HOW LONG the company has been around if you have to wait two weeks to have them send you parts.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
"The bigger question is why would you select a Toto Toilet?"

That one is simple. They are the largest and oldest plumbing manufacturer in the world and have the best product on the market.
It's a no-brainer.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks