Copper pipe price...

Users who are viewing this thread

IanSpaid

Reaction score
About how much is 1/2" copper pipe/ft in the United States? I've been looking around on the internet for companies that sell it, but I can never find any prices.

Please post or PM me if you have an answer for me.

Thanks!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
price

The reason you do not see prices is probably because they would charge you the price that was current on the day you bought it. But I would think it would be immaterial what the price was here, because even if you did buy it cheaper here, the shipping costs would make it even more expensive than it is where you.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Over the past 2 years, copper prices have fluxuated wildly. A 60 foot roll of type L soft copper has been from $55 to about $125, and is back down again.

Copper is a world commodity, and mining and world political situations affect the price. The shipping charges on small quantities ( LTL) would generally dictate that you buy it locally . whatever the price.

IanSpaid

Reaction score
I honestly only need about 5 ft of 1/2" and about 3ft of 1/4". Are there companies that will even deal with that small of an order? Or am I going to end up having to get 20ft? LOL

I'm doing a small fountain project. There was a sprinkler there before, so all of the plumbing from the house out to the spot is there. I just need to run the plumbing through the fountain (1/4"), and the recycling lines and such(1/2") Plus, copper pipe is pretty handy, so I'd like some left over. Not that it's relevant, but I thought you might be interested.

By the way, I'm in Western Pennsylvania, if that would help determine a price.

Also, Is there a cheaper alternative to copper that will give around the same result?

Thanks for your inputs!

Ian Spaid

Last edited:

Chassis

Engineer
Reaction score
Can't you run down to the local Home Depot/Lowe's/hardware store/plumbing supply house/Walmart/Kmart and buy what you need? Looks like you're talking about $10 or less of material.

IanSpaid

Reaction score
I had just though up the project last night, LOL, so I haven't had much time to do research. I was thinking of using PVC, but I'm going to run warm water to it during the winter. As long as I keep it flowing at a steady pace, I shouldn't have any freezing problems, right?

I'm hoping that it's $10 or less. I want to use a good pipe that will last a long time, because I just bought this house, and I don't plan on leaving for a LONG time. I just want something that will get me atleast 20 years without needing replaced.

Since it's going to be run underground, wouldn't I need some sort of sleave or cover for the pipe?

I'm new to plumbing and pipes and how to use them all. But this seems like the right place to learn. I'm also going to have to work on my soldering...

Thanks again,

Ian Spaid

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Follow the advice about getting what you need at a Box Store. They will sell you pretty much whatever length you need and it's cheap. You do not need to put the copper pipe in a sleeve or cover it with anything before you bury it. I would avoid putting large rocks right on top of it, but you don't need to screen the soil, just keep the big ones out. Running water doesn't freeze unless it gets extremely cold and/or the flow is very slight. The depth you bury it will also affect the freezing .

Chassis

Engineer
Reaction score
If you are in western PA, I would not be running water through the pipe all year. Just my opinion. As in any outdoor plumbing in a cold climate, you need to drain the water out to avoid freezing and associated pipe bursting. You said this was part of a sprinkler. Sprinkler systems should be "blown out" using compressed air before the cold weather comes - like now. This can be done by landscaping companies who have the right sized compressors for the job. Or if your neighbor has a large compressor, bring him a gift of a large quantity of his favorite beverage, then ask to borrow his compressor! ;)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks