View Full Version : Tub Spout Removal

04-01-2011, 08:33 PM

I have a bathtub spout which needs to be changed out. When you pull up on the diverter to switch it to shower, 50% of the water goes up and 50% comes out of the spout.

I was told there are two kinds, one is threaded, and one uses a set screw. I am not sure how this one works.

Underneath the spout there is a disk with a flat head slot in it, but I can't get it to turn. I also can't get the spout to turn counter clockwise to unthread it.

This unit has been installed for at least 10 years if not more. I tried to research the unit, but all I know is that it's most likely a Kohler unit, since everything in the bathroom matches and the sink faucet caps say Kohler.

The tub spout has no name or model printed on it. The top of the diverter is stamped, and it reads:
PAT. 3086748. Other then that I can't find anything on this model.

I took a picture and if anyone can give me any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.




04-01-2011, 08:46 PM
The set screw probably is "fused" into place by now and will take some persuasion to get it to move. Also, it looks like your tubspout is siliconed into place, and you will have to free it first before you can attempt to remove it. Using a quarter (or loonie if you are in Canada) usually works best on slots like that.

04-02-2011, 05:12 AM
Judging by the size of the screw plug, it is likely a service port for the diverter and not a set screw to hold the spout in place. I'm guessing that the spout is threaded on.

If you posted some pics of the valve, maybe someone will ID it. Usually the valves, shower, and spout come as a set.

04-02-2011, 08:02 AM
That spout unscrews. The "disc" is to repair the diverter, but trying to do so would be a waste of time. However, there are two kinds of screw on diverter spouts, some have the thread right at the wall and others have it 4" inside the spout. This one has the thread at the wall, so you need another one similar to it.

04-02-2011, 09:16 AM
I'm with hj, it's a spin on spout.

04-02-2011, 09:19 PM
I had a similar issue today while replacing the trim fixtures in four tubs/showers at my house. Most tub spouts spun off by hand. However, the spout for the garden tub in my master bath had the 1/2 screw-on nipple type spout (4" off the wall) and 15 years of somewhat hard water had bonded that thing on like concrete. I ended up having to cut the end of the spout off with a cutoff wheel and hit the threads with PB Blaster. After letting it soak for about half an hour, I put the vise grips with the rounded claws and longer handles on it and was able to finally get it turning but it was a chore.

I expect you have similar issues with either mineral deposits, rust or other stuff. And, as mentioned earlier, that silicone is not helping you get the spout off.

04-03-2011, 02:40 PM
Hmm, service port for a diverter? I've never seen one like that before, I guess you really do learn something new everyday!

04-03-2011, 06:14 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. Sorry I've been a bit busy with the nice weather doing outside projects and some other things that got thrown my way this weekend.

The white at the back of the spout seems to be a hard spacer. It sometimes rotates around and it' definitely square in shape. I think the pipe might have been too long?

I did try to get the big disk to open up, but it would not budge. A quarter was a bit too thick for the slot.

If DallasDIY is correct, and the spout is practically fused on, then I think this project will be put on hold until I can get someone to help me. Last thing I want to do is snap the pipe, then I'm going to be in a world of hurt getting it fixed. Although I do have a Dremel tool with cutting disks, maybe I could use that to cut the thing off?

The faucet knobs are appear part of the set, but the caps are no longer there as they've fallen off years ago...


04-05-2011, 06:07 AM
Cutting the spout off is NOT an option because the thread only projects about 1/2" from the wall. Therefore, there is NO pipe inside the spout for you to hold back on. Get a bigger wrench, because it will either unscrew or break, but whichever happens there is no way to prevent it, and the odds are in your favor that it will unscrew. IF you don't like the term "service the diverter", how about, "it is how they put it together originally". The handles indicate that it is a Kohler Alterna series spout.

04-05-2011, 06:48 AM
see K-6881 here http://www.kohlerserviceparts.kohler.com/ServicePartsPage.aspx?DocumentID=2a6f39cc6b124a8fa b681bddf235b639&ModelID=14c351d1e30547229a1bf0789acc79a7

04-05-2011, 08:29 PM
Neat, I've been trying to find info on the spout at the Kohler website, but was unable to. Thanks, it's very much Appreciated. I'm assuming, though hard to see in the diagram, yes, I zoomed in, that I would have to open it up from under if I decide to service the unit. Now, Getting the cap under off, what would be a good strategy if it doesn't budge? Liquid Wrench? WD40? I guess now that I know which model this is I could enquire with Kohler.


04-06-2011, 05:30 AM
I think that plug is more for installing the diverter, and doubt that Kohler will have any "repair parts" for it, assuming you could get the plug out.