Is this a bad clog or what?!!

Users who are viewing this thread

northofnorth

Reaction score
Hi,
This is my very first post. I got frustrated with my kitchen drain situation and decided to look for infos on the internet. Then I found this forum.

A few days ago the water in the kitchen sink stopped flowing. It just stood still for hours. My husband then took out the goose neck and found nothing. Next, we tried to snake the pipe that goes down to the main. After going in about 16 feet it hit something hard. It seems to be too solid to break through with the snake.

What could be the problem? Is there anything we can try, besides calling a plumber?

FYI, we don't have garbage disposal in the sink.

Thanks,
Yanne

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You're on the right track, the drain is clogged. However, you are finding out what is frequently discussed here that a DIY snake is seldom effective. I suspect what you have hit is a tee in the drain that is stopping the snake. Even if you get past that point, you are likely not to clear the blockage and may even push it in deeper and tighter. What is required is a professional with a professional size auger to really open the drain. Whatever you do, do not use caustic chemical cleaners. These not only won't open the drain, they can damage pipes and create a hazzard for a plumber who has to finally come in.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks