Flange Questions - Please examine my pictures

Users who are viewing this thread

ufokillerz

Reaction score
A while ago, i noticed that some drywall in the basement was wet, i thought it might be the toilet on the first floor. when i first installed the toilet on the first floor, i noticed that the flange looked a bit off, and i could not get a fluidmaster waxless to fit. I think that the iron pipe is too high up?

Please do let me know what i should do, i am not a professional plumber, i am a self proclaimed handyman with some tools and willing to get my hands dirty. I installed a toto ultramax and a toto carlyle in my 2nd floor with no issues at all.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the toilet won't sit on the flange without any wax, you'll have to remove and reset the flange. They are designed to sit flat on TOP of the FINISHED floor. A CI flange is fairly thick on its own, and when it sits higher, means many toilets won't fit. The waxless may be a little thicker, and a plain wax ring might work. But, first see if the toilet rocks on the flange, or can sit flat on the floor.

ufokillerz

Reaction score
thank you for the reply, i will try to set it without a wax ring and see if it rocks. i know with the seepless rings it did not work, but amazingly it never came to mind to try it without a wax ring.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
There are two sizes for the Fluidmaster Waxless seal. You need to be able to shove it down into the pipe.
Like JD mentions, it's good to set the bowl dry first, just to make sure that the flange isn't giving you grief.
If the flange is okay, you may wind up using either a single wax with no plastic horn, or you may be able to use the Fluidmaster.
If you use the Fluidmaster, push it onto the bowl first.

If you use wax, set it on the flange.

You see it's easy; read the directions and then reverse them, that's what the plumbers do to make it work.

ufokillerz

Reaction score
thanks for the replies! another question for you guys, you can see that the flange doesn't actually touch the floor, should i fill it in with anything underneath?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
In my non professional opinion, I would fill under the flange. As you probably know, a flange is supposed to sit on top of the finished floor. This provides support. Whoever did the tile work erred by not extending the tile as far are possible under the flange. I would do that now. You only need to get some pieces under there to give the support. Perhaps something like Rock Hard Putty would work.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
From a practical point, with the cast iron, it probably doesn't matter IF the thing is embedded in concrete. If on a wooden subfloor, definately. This assumes it is a leaded on CI flange...if it is one that is held in place by a gasket, absolutely anchor it. that ring is what holds the toilet in place, if it can move, so can your toilet, and that would be really bad for the seal.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If the flange is solid, you're fine.
If not, make it so Scotty!
Normally I would expect to see some screws securing the flange.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
1. that is an OLD cast ron pipe, so your "clamp on flange" may NOT be making a watertight seal to the riser, and the same thing can happen on the inside when you try to use a waxless seal.

Dugfresh

Reaction score
The flange appears to be too high above the finished floor, squishing out the wax. Unbolt the flange, lower it to be sitting directly atop the floor and then retighten. You should only need one regular sized wax ring to make the seal.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks