Hot water from hose bib when I drain water lines

Users who are viewing this thread

dlance_2007

Reaction score
When I turn off the main house water supply, and then open the adjacent hose bib to drain the water in the lines, I get first much cold water but then I get hot water. I then feel the cold inlet line running into the hot water heater and it is hot. So looks like hot water is being pulled from the tank into the cold inlet line and then out the hose bib.

This sound right?

I can never recall getting hot water out of the hose bib in my other houses. We just bought the place and had a plumber run some new lines for a washer and tub. The fixtures are not installed yet so maybe the plumber made a mistake and has a hot water line somehow connected to a cold line under the house?

Thank you.

SacCity

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
saccityplumbing.com
When you use the water heater in normal use are the lines appropriate? Hot water outlet hot, and cold water inlet cold, if so then the lines are not crossed.
Assuming that the lines are not crossed the the water from the storage tank is being siphoned out. You may need to put a check valve in the water heater inlet line.

On a recent project there was a second electric water heater in the attic, when draining down the system to make repairs to the plumbing system the electric heating element burned out, and needed to be replaced at my cost. Ouch... and embarrassing...
Michael

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If the plumber roughed in a new tub or shower valve, it may be crossing over there.
Delta makes a plug or cap for their rough-in, and until someone installs the cartridge, it crosses right over.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Yes, you are siphoning the hot water from the water heater. Usually it does not happen because the dip tube has a "siphon breaker hole" in it, but sometime conditions will negate its function. IF it is an electric water heater, you can drain enough water out of the tank so the upper element can melt and then you will not have any hot water until it is repaired.

Graham Love

Reaction score
Ive got the same "issue". When I drain the main water line for repairs, it siphons out the gas heated hot water tank.
1) Does it matter?
2). If it does matter, should I install a spring check valve on the cold water inlet side before the expansion tank?

Reach4

Reaction score
With a tank WH, it is normal to have a valve on the input water. Is a valve before a tankless not the norm?

Graham Love

Reaction score
Reach4,
I do have a tank WH. Im wondering if i should put a check valve on to prevent siphoning. Maybe it doesn't matter all that much if some hot water gets sucked out of the tank when I drain the lines.

Fitter30

Reaction score
When ever drained down my house in winter water and heater off left all valves open and poured rv antifreeze in toilets and drains. Had only one problem a cracked 11/4" drain valve lost power for two weeks. Crawl space was still at 48°valve was at the outside foundation wall.

Reach4

Reaction score
If you close the supply valve to the WH, I expect draining the cold will not siphon water out of the WH.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks