washing maching standpipe overflows

Users who are viewing this thread

new2wiring

Reaction score
Hello, my parents generously gave me thier old washing maching when they recenlty got a new one. The problem is that the standpipe it drains into overflows each time the washer drains. It overflows about 1 gallon per drain cycle when washing a large load. The installation instructions for the washer specify a stand pipe of 2" diameter and 35" high (which we have), and a drain capable of draining 18 gallons a minute (not sure if we have this). The old washer hose, which was there when we bought the house, did have a clamp installed on it so it didn't drain at full force. I tried snaking the line today but didn't get anything out, I think the snake just got as far as the p-trap and stuck. The standpipe is pvc and it connects to what I think is galvanized steel. I think the galvanize pipe is only 1.5" and I believe it is the pipe the kitchen sink upstairs drains into.

My question is, do you think my drain can't handle 18 gal per minute? Would it be bad to put a clamp on this washer hose and solve the problem that way? If I call a professional would I call a plumber or a drain cleaning service (like roto rooter)? Any general estimates on what this will cost? Money is real tight with us, so if it is a lot I may just have to keep emptying a bucket I place under the pipe after washing. We did have our main line cleaned about a year ago. Our house was built in 1952. Any help would be sincerely appreciated.

I have attached a photo of our setup. The washer is just out of the photo, on the right side.

Attachments

• pipes.jpg
    pipes.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 2,419

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I've seen 1.5" drain lines work, not code most places.
UPC wants 2".
I would have someone snake the line. A clean 1.5" should work.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
washer

Also a temporary fix might be to cut that 11/2" stand pipe off as far as possible and increase it up to 2" or even 3" and maybe make it a couple of inches higher.

Won't make it drain faster, but it will give more volume and keep it from overflowing

See if you can't strap that standpipe to the wall too......because I can see that it's stressed the way it is........

BennyBaby

Reaction score
Our washer always started overflowing at the standing drain pipe every time the sewer was partially clogged. I kept begging the wife to stop pouring grease down the kitchen sink, washer lint and grease can make a drain clog about every two months./ If I recall that pipe was small, less than 2 inches (circa 1955), but always drained well after a good snaking.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Put In a Sink

I fixed mine with the same problem by putting in a fiberglass shop sink to replace the standpipe. The sink buffers the discharge; no more overflows; unless you put stuff in the sink that covers the drain. Not expensive and you will appreciate the sink.

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
my 2 cents

RUN THAT SUCKER UP TO THE CEILING ! lol

hay Benny ,on the grease , r. roter doesn't do HEART BYPASSES

take it easy :D

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I am going to guess that that line was snaked every so often due to the banded coupling in the photo. Like Terry said have it snaked and if possible replace the T with plastic. If you replace the pipe going up towards the kitchen with plastic pipe you can install a cleanout about 4' off the floor for future snaking, that will make life easier.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks