a few camp plumbing questions

Users who are viewing this thread

das fisch

Reaction score
I hope this is the right section to post this in, so here goes...

We just purchased a camp in the western Maine mountains, totally off the grid. there is a revamped dug well, 16 ft. or so to the bottom on a mountainside, with what seems like a constant 3-4 static level. there is plenty of water coming down off the mountain, stream behind and large one in front with springs in abundance.
the poly well pipe has been run to a plastic pit under the camp (which is built on pier and post), assuming this would be a good spot for a shallow well pump. from there there is no plumbing yet in the camp, but there is a full three bed septic installed.
my questions (the first of probably many groups) are:
-would it make sense to drop a submersible pump into that well or go shallow well pump. we will be there very often thru the warm months and a bit after the snow flies (no access in besides snowmobile). I'm used to draining a system in an old camp so this is fine. we will probably install a vessel hand pump out on the well casing (3ft dia. concrete casings) for backup use, and run a rain barrel for outdoor water needs (obviously non-potable quality).
-once i get the feed line from under grade and in an insulated chase up into the structure we'll have a filter system, pressure tank and propane tankless heater. power for the camp will be a generator run into a breaker panel. propane fridge, propane stove. so well pump has to be 110v
-i plan on running a "wet wall" with kitchen sink on one side and bathroom fixtures on the opposite side, and this will be an interior wall for those colder months. the utility closet is on the opposite side of a hallway from this "wet wall". so would it make sense to run the pex up and over the hallway to keep it in a warm zone or run it down into the floor joists and try to build an insulated chase down there?
-And finally for now, are there any good sources of info for designing self draining systems for the colder months. we'll add a bit of rv antifreeze to the traps upon exit too as the toilet and tub trap will be in a cold zone.

sorry for the long rant, just anxious to get started and do it correctly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks