tightening widespread valve bodies on granite

Users who are viewing this thread

Bbillcee

Reaction score
hi

i tightened down some valves on the granite vanity top, i made them pretty tight, but if try to move them they can move though it takes some forcing

how tight can i make them on granite? can i tighten them super tight with no worry of cracking the granite??

i'm paranoid because i broke a toilet in the past making stuff super tight....i know thats much weaker than the granite but just want to be sure

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Is it metal on stone with plumber's putty or rubber gaskets? The last fixture I mounted on granite I made the mistake of using plumber's putty and it stained. I caught it in time and removed the putty, got rid of the stain and made my own gaskets from thin EPDM rubber. I used big fat O-rings in place of the putty to fill the gap around the inside of the hole.

I doubt you can break the granite by over tightening it. You are more likely to break the fixture.

Bbillcee

Reaction score
they have gaskets......maybe i'll just leave it as is for now and see if i experience any movement with everyday use

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks