View Full Version : Ball Valve Shutoff Missing Handle

03-09-2011, 11:12 AM
We have two water shutoffs for our water line. One right by the meter and one by the house. The one by the meter, which is a Mueller ball valve, had a small leak and the handle rusted off as a result. There was also another leak several inches away where the copper line attaches to a black water supply line with a white connector.

Plumber came out and fixed the leaks by tightening down the white connector and then by checking the valve and I think replacing the packing nut or tightening things down. He said he would look for a replacement handle so the whole valve wouldn't have to be replaced. I paid him since he said he would be back a few days later to finish. Two weeks have gone by and he's not finished and when I call him he says he can't find a replacement handle.

My question is this: will the valve leak without the handle or is it fine to leave as is? (photo attached)

My thinking was that if it's not a problem I'll just leave it as is since we have another shutoff by the house.

When the plumber left our leak meter wasn't moving and I've checked periodically since then and it's not been moving. So we don't have anything leaking now. I just want to make sure that if I leave it as is it won't be a problem.



03-09-2011, 11:17 AM
The handle had nothing to do with the leak.
You can turn the valve using a small cresent wrench.
You may be able to contact Mueller about a new handle though.


03-09-2011, 11:37 AM
Okay thanks. So the valve is fine without a handle?

03-09-2011, 12:00 PM
As you can see from the picture above, it's just a handle that bolts on. Some people even remove the handle to prevent others from messing with it.

03-09-2011, 04:47 PM
That "ball valve" looks like a gate valve to me. But it is hard to tell for sure because of the debris around it. Just because it is somewhat "round" like a ball does not mean it is a ball valve.

03-09-2011, 07:01 PM
The handle that came off looked like the yellow handle in the photo Terry posted.

03-10-2011, 08:52 AM
Then it should be a ball valve, but the part that shows in the photo does not look like any ball valve I have used. Removing the dirt from around it and then taking a picture would help identify it. The handle "stems" are not generic, so you need one from that manufacturer for that size valve. Removing the dirt might let you read the manufacturer's name.

04-20-2011, 11:20 AM
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one with stuck valves.