Water spewing out of faucet handle

Users who are viewing this thread

Galactus

Reaction score
Last night I lifted the handle of my kitchen faucet and water spewed out. It's going all over the counter and onto the floor. We have to use the bathroom sink. Can anybody tell me how to fix this?

Attachments

• moen_chateau_ks.jpg
    moen_chateau_ks.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 501
Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
What you have is a Moen Chateau Kitchen faucet.
The cover pops off by hand, then you can access the screw that holds the handle to the cartridge.

This is close to what you have. I can't find the exact faucet on the Moen site anymore. What you have is old.

http://www.moen.com/shared/pdf/87581pt.pdf

You may have a broken part under the cap.

Last edited:

Galactus

Reaction score
Thank you, HJ. I see this "O" ring on the diagram Terry sent me (thanks Terry!), but where is the cartridge located? And I can't get that top part that's labeled "Spout Retainer Kit" (above the ring) to come off. I was going to turn it with a vise grips, but I don't want to break anything.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The leaking water may have caused the thread to seize, but normally it comes off very easily, assuming you are rotating it in the proper direction. The cartridge is inside the faucet, and since it is probably the brass version, it may be difficult to extract without the proper tools. I say "tools", not "tool", because it might require more than one of the four or five different tools used to remove it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks