Another Drake vs Eco Drake Discussion

Users who are viewing this thread

svtcanuk

Reaction score
I currently have 3 Drake 1.6 GPF toilets that I love. I've been considering moving to a more water friendly 1.28 GPF model for the most used toilet on the ground floor of my house. Could I easily convert my existing Drake 1.6 to a 1.28 GPF model? If so what parts would be required? From what I have read it looks like the only difference between the 2 is the filler and the flapper valve.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It depends on the age. In the last few years, they went with an Eco bowl, there is an E instead of an S on the part number. The E bowl works with either tank, but the S bowl needs the S tank.
The tanks porcelain is the same, in the tanks case, it "is" the flapper and fill valve. The flapper is weighted, and the fill valve is tuned to shutoff sooner so it doesn't keep overfilling the bowl.
Homeowners that use a Fluidmaster 400A fill valve can wind up overfilling and wasting a bunch of water.

svtcanuk

Reaction score
So it's not as simple as swapping the filler and flapper valve, unless I have an E bowl? Is this due to part incompatibility or a bowl wash issue with the older S bowl?

SamC

Reaction score
Is there a replacement fill valve, other than original equipment, that does not overfill the bowl?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Supposedly, there is at least one brand of fill valve that is easily adjustable in the ratio of bowl to tank filling. It was discussed here somewhere and a search might find it. I think it ends up being more expensive than ordering the one customized for Toto, so probably isn't worth the effort. Depending on which fill valve you get, if it is the one made for them by Korky, the only real wear part is readily available at Lowes for less than $3, so there is little reason to replace the whole thing. If you did, if you saved the restrictor, you could probably use it in the generic one to achieve the same tank/bowl fill ratio.

SamC

Reaction score
Between the two Korky replacement fill valves, the 528 and the 528T, which one directs more water down the overflow?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The 528T puts more water in the bowl.
The 528 doesn't quite fill the bowl.
That's why I recommend the $2.47 assembly cap repair instead of complete replacement.

SamC

Reaction score
So, if you replaced the original Toto fill valve on a 1.28 gallon Toto model with the Korky 528 fill valve, would it come close to matching the original water level in the bowl?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Close will degrade the flushing ability...ideally, the bowl level will be just at the max level. If a bowl doesn't fill completely during the cycle, the next time you flush, some of the water needs to fill it up before it can start the evacuation process. This can radically affect how it flushes. The older ones tended to overfill the bowl and waste water while filling the tank. The manufacturers spend time to get the balance just right so it can meet the required water use spec.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Sounds like a question for Toto tech support.
For Toto, I've been using the 528T, or getting new fill valves from Toto tech support.
My experience with the 528 has been that the bowl doesn't fill all the way.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks