Rough In for clawfoot tub faucet from floor

Users who are viewing this thread

Malin

Reaction score
I am remodeling my master bathroom and expect to use a clawfoot tub. I have the copper lines capped off right now where they should line up in a vertical position that raises above the floor for now. Do I cut the copper line below the floor line or are the hard pipes for the exposed water lines attached above floor grade? Also drain is same question about height and to add ? about drain which says is 1 1/2" pipe exposed chrome does that mean the entire line back to the main drain line should be 1 1/2" or should I make it 2" and adapt the 1 1/2" exposed pipe later?

Malin

Reaction score
I don't understand your response, why would it depend on which faucet and drain I use. I am using what I was told is called hard pipe floor mounted faucet ( which is chrome to attach to the faucet in all hard no flex line) from the the floor. Does this help

Winslow

Plumber
Reaction score
I don't understand your response, why would it depend on which faucet and drain I use. I am using what I was told is called hard pipe floor mounted faucet ( which is chrome to attach to the faucet in all hard no flex line) from the the floor. Does this help

You need to get the rough-in specification sheets for the particular tub and faucets you are using. Some floor mounted faucets have a flange that bolts to the floor with the connections underneath with flex lines. Some use a block you hard pipe into with the faucet attaching later on. Some come with chrome risers that would screw into an elbow located just below finished floor height. As far as the tub drain is concerned you need the threads on the adapter to finish just far enough through the floor to allow for the escutcheon and slip nut, located in exacxtly the right spot in relation to your water lines. The drain will all chrome including a chrome tailpiece.

Additionally some tub drains are designed to have supports that attach to the faucet for support.

The tub drain is generally 11/2 from the adapter to the vent, from there it is 2". There are some clawfoot tubs however that require a 2" drain. That is why you need to know exactly whattub and faucet you are using before you rough it in.

You cannnot just say I have a clawfoot tub how do I rough it in? There are too many variables across different brands and styles.

Last edited:

Malin

Reaction score
That does answer my question, I know the drain line uses a slip nut to attach so letting the threads sit just above finish floor will work. And the faucet lines is answered also as I can buy the type to screw into a elbow just beneath or level with the floor. Thanks

Winslow

Plumber
Reaction score
You also have to ensure you put the elbows at exactly the correct spread at the right distance from the tub rough.

Malin

Reaction score
I found a website that shows each hard pipe supply line hook up instructions and browsed a few different types, alot come with shut off valves which seem to be compression, some do come with threads for screw in type so I will just order the pair I like, once recieve I will finish rough in accordinly. As for the drain goes they all seem to use the gasket ring compressed to the male end adaptor. But since the floor will still be open anyway I will order the drain at the same time to make sure I get it right.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks