View Full Version : pipe deburring

10-20-2005, 06:47 PM
Does anyone make an outside deburring tool for 1/2" copper pipe? My pipe cutter makes a small bur on the pipe which I usually file off to make it go into the fittings easier. With a bathroom remodel I now have to cut a lot more pipe and there has to be a better way. The guys at the plumbing supply store said it was my cutter so I bought a new one, a snap-around "AutoCut" unit that really works well especially close to the wall, but the bur is still there-smaller, but still there.

Someone must make a manual tool that will remove the bur and put a small chamfer on the OD. Where can I get one?

10-20-2005, 07:09 PM
Doesn't just sanding the pipe ends take off enough?
Will just pushing the burred pipe into a 1/2" fitting do it?
I don't believe I've seen burrs there.

10-20-2005, 08:26 PM
The wheels on the cutter usually roll the burr down. The Auto-cuts do not put enough pressure on the tubing to do that. They were designed as a special application cutter, not a general use cutter.

Dunbar Plumbing
10-20-2005, 09:34 PM
Waterproof rough-grit plumber's sandcloth normally does the job to remove the burr you describe. Wear decent gloves during this as those shavings can enter the skin with bare hands sanding copper.

10-23-2005, 02:32 PM
We were experiencing the same problem on 3" copper lines. My guys talked me into buying a belt sander. It's faster than a file and better than sand cloth. I admit that's a bit of overkill on 1/2" and 3/4". How about replacing the cutting wheel. New whells leave less of a burr and put less wear and tear on the user.