Has anyone seen a tub installed like this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Doodle

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

My name is Tomas. First I am a long time lurker and want to thank all the posters and their expertise. I bought a condo about year ago and because of this forum I have been able to do a bunch of work. Recently I gutted my second bathroom and while removing tiles I noticed slight give in the bath tub along the center. I never had used it before so this was the first time I noticed it. I cut an access panel and saw this install. What I am hearing is the Styrofoam. I could cut the wall and get to it if I have to it.

From reading these forums something doesn't seem right although I am sure it was done 20 years ago when the places were built. So my question...is this a correct install? Is there a fix for this? There is no mortar or expanding foam, which I know many here don't like for an install.

DSCF1466.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
You have a standard steel tub installation. That foam is not meant for support, but is more for sound/heat insulation...not that it makes much difference.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There are foams that can easily hold up a tub full of water, but they only work IF the floor is flat and level, and they were designed for it (ie., a tub that came with foam on the bottom designed to hold it up rather than for any possible installation). Otherwise, it is a good idea for solidity and longevity to embed it in something like mortar. The tub I have, from Jason International, came with foam bonded to the bottom designed to be set directly on the subflooring without further support. But, if the floor is not level or flat, you still need to do something else to properly support it.

Doodle

Reaction score
Thank you guys for the posts. I guess that for this steel tub the installation is correct and I feel flexing because it is a cheaper tub.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks