PVC to ABS

Users who are viewing this thread

Schipperke

Reaction score
Is it OK to use a PVC Marvel Connector to a 1 1/2" ABS waste line, as well as install a 3" PVC (about 4" long to stub up) in to a ABS Closet Bend? I 'd use a PVC Closet Flange. Would use transition glue, and can this glue be used for the PVC to PVC connection (flange to stub)?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Inspectors here don't allow mixing PVC and ABS. Even with glue that is supposed to make that work somehow.
I would look for ABS fittings.

When I buy my PVC p-traps, I get the packages with ABS trap adapers.

Schipperke

Reaction score
Thanks.. this will not be inspected. So the question is, in the real world is it an OK practice? Nothing is under pressure.
Are you speaking of an ABS marvel connector that has a PVC compression dealio.. I think I've seen those.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's just not good practice to mix the two types of plastic, especially since most anything you need is available in both types of material. Now, a compression fitting between the two would work. You're not the first to say, don't worry, I'm not going to get it inspected, but consider the time when you want to sell the house...little things like this can be big red flags to an inspector, and could make selling it that much harder. AND, if a neighbor wants to be vindictive, he could call the inspector out on you and really ruin your day (and any potential savings).

Inspektor Ludwig

Journeyman/Inspector
Reaction score
I've heard of marvel rings but the only ones I've ever seen are brass soldered onto copper. I have to say I've never seen an ABS marvel, same thing I guess? My question would be why wouldn't you just use the same kind of plastic as the drain? It can't be that hard to find an ABS trap adapter.

Schipperke

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Whether correct or not I'm not sure but have no leaks. I used a fernco fitting to the ABS waste from the PVC trap assembly for the lav. As far as inspection, no one I know is going to remove a toilet on a PVC flange and stub glued to an ABS closet bend. I pushed lots of water through it while dry fit, and no leaks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks