Toilet Flange Too High

Users who are viewing this thread

GWS

Reaction score
Can someone please help! I am in the process of renovating a basement bathroom. After ripping out a plywood subfloor I am noticing the toilet flange is really high. The flange is black plastic (pvc or abs ?) and the inside diameter is 3 inches. It is set in concrete with the flange glued on. I put down a piece of tile to measure the height and the top of the flange is 1 1/8" above the tile! What should the proper flange height be after the tile is layed? I want to do this right...what are my options?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The only acceptable option is to break out some concrete and install a new flange at the proper height. Since you have 3" pipe, you must use a flange that fits on the outside of the pipe. Inside fitting flanges are made in 3", but they restrict the diameter too much. This would be a time to seriously consider hiring a plumber who has the tools and knowledge to do this. Also use a flange that has a stainless steel ring, not plastic. Costs more but much better.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
BTW, black plastic is ABS. If you are really lucky, you migth use an inside pipe cutter, pull out the piece, and have enough room to slide a new flange down around the pipe. Probably won't, but it's possible. You migth look for a spigot flange...this does not have a stop, and fits over the pipe...then, you can cut off the excess sticking up through it. This means it's easier to get things the proper height. When done, the flange should sit on TOP of the FINISHED floor. You'll probably need to chop out more, though. A pro might have some other options.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks