PDA

View Full Version : Is a flexible water and gas line to a water heater ok in Illinois?

paulsiu
01-31-2011, 09:16 AM
Hi

I live in Itasca, IL a suburb west of Chicago. I attempt to look into the IL code, but could not find any reference to this. I have gas coming out of a black iron gas pipe and water coming out from copper pipe from the roof of the basement.

My questions are:
1. Am I allow to hook up the gas to the water heater using a short length of flexible gas line?
2. Am I allow to hook up the water to the water heater using a short lengh of flexible water line?

Thanks.

Paul

jimbo
02-06-2011, 07:35 AM
Very wordy code....but it does contain provision that a town may issue a permit if "....the applicant is the owner occupant of a single family residence that is the subject of the permit.or that the applicant is the owner occupant of a single family residence that is the subject of the permit."

In perusing the codes briefly, I could not answer the question about whether the code REQUIRES, ALLOWS, or PROHIBITS flexible connectore.
I hope an IL plumber can help us with that.

In CA, flex connecors on gas and water connections are REQUIRED.

SewerRatz
05-24-2011, 08:32 AM
In Illinois the water heater is required that the water pipes and gas to be hard piped. Also unions are required on the water piping. One more thing changing out a water heater requires a licensed plumber to do the job.

Terry
05-25-2011, 06:20 PM
Illinois must not be in earthquake country.
Do you even have to strap your tanks?

Or do you just worry about tornadoes taking the entire home away?

SewerRatz
05-26-2011, 11:30 AM
No straps required unless mounted on a stand in a garage. Tornadoes is our worry in the flat lands here.