Homerun to shower /tub ok 1/2" Wirsbo pex?

Users who are viewing this thread

DavidTu

Reaction score
Seems like manifolds are geared to 1/2". I've already run 1/2" homerun from 3/4" manifold with six 1/2" ports servicing 1.25 baths, kitchen sink, dishwasher, and clothes washer. Now I am having 2nd thoughts on the tub/ shower. The manifold and WH are directly 2 floors below in the basement. GPM is 7-8 at 60-80 psi. I know pex is smaller than Cu i.d. But at least it's Uponor. Should I upsize to 3/4" with reducer near the valve? My concern is adequate water supply volume. Please gauge the strength of any recommendations.

THanks.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you only have one showerhead, federal standards limit it to 2.5gpm max. If you are trying to fill a large tub, 1/2" pex may not be the greatest (but mine seems to work fine). You should be okay unless you are trying to deal with a large system.

DavidTu

Reaction score
No just a basic system. On general I'd rather overbuild than just squeeze by. In this case it sounds like 1/2" would not be that so I'll leave it be. Thanks guys!

Reaction score
pipe size is incumbent to the flow requirements of the homeowner's fixtures. Generally most showerheads are restricted to smaller gpm, unless the restrictors are removed, but we (my ****. co.) install 3/4" hot and cold water inlet and outlet shower and tub valves with 10 gpm shower heards and multiple shower heads fairly often in large residental homes. If you pipe the larger shower or tub valves with 1/2" Wirsbo/Aquapex/Upinor, the customer will not be able to take advantage of the full flow capable of fixture and outlets.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks