Washer / Icemaker connection timing

Users who are viewing this thread

DavidTu

Reaction score
I have boxes for laundry and icemaker. Can these be connected during rough in and before inspection & testing? They are both valved.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Yes. All the time these are installed at roughin.
You may as well get the ones with hammer arrestors built in.
That way if the city changes your meter to one with a check valve, you are handled.

DavidTu

Reaction score
I was planning to use the Uponor one that is with proper connection. It does not have arrestors but my understanding is that pex does not need the arrestors. What say you?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I don't see in the code book where the type of pipe is mentioned as to whether or not you would use hammer arrestors.
I like hammer arrestors, because it's a softer shutoff.
And in some cases they are required. I install them regardless.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
"I have never installed a hammer arrestor on an icemaker or washer connection."

Well, I wouldn't brag about that.
My friend Bruce, the Boeing Engineer used to be awakened in the middle of the night by banging pipes.
I gave him a cut-in hammer arrestor for the 1/2" line feeding the icemaker shutoff. It wasn't until his FIL came from South Dakota, who is a plumber by the way, and he installed it for him. He now sleeps instead of waking up everytime the ice cube tray fills.
But then sometimes as people get older, they quit hearing things like that. When I went to Whistler with eight guys and two gals for a long weekend, they passed out ear plugs. I didn't put them in right away, and boy, that was a mistake.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I have never installed them and I also have never had a customer complain about water hammer from his icemaker. When one does THEN I will install my first one.

DavidTu

Reaction score
So where else does one install them, while we're on the subject? And again please call out cases where not needed with Pex, if any.

Also what code section covers water hammer? (I don't have my codebook with me as I type this so only asking if its hard to find)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
In Chicago, we had to make "anti hammer" provisions for EVERY faucet. In Phoenix, we do not have to make any provision for it, so it is a local jurisdiction thing.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
With the UPC code, which Seattle uses, "If" you have a closed system, and yours may not be, then it would be
Dishwasher hot
Icemaker cold
Washer hot & cold
Or any quick closing valve, by this they mean ones normally operated with a solenoid valve.

I don't think Seattle has been using the new water meters like they have been on the Eastside of the Lake.

But if you live in Arizona, then you're good.

DavidTu

Reaction score
With the UPC code, which Seattle uses, "If" you have a closed system, and yours may not be...
I don't think Seattle has been using the new water meters like they have been on the Eastside of the Lake

I talked to Seattle Public Utilities incident response team--still trying to find a better contact--and the guy I talked to said Seattle has not been installing check valves nor did he know of any plans to do so. In any case he also said that SPU relies on constant water pressure to keep backflow from occurring, and thus making mine a "closed system". Can that be right? With that setup would I need to handle expansion issues (eg: add an expansion tank to WH)? And also the water hammer arrestors as Terry outlined above?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
And he's not a plumber.
When a main gets shut down for a repair, there is no longer constant pressure.
However he is also wrong about it being a closed system if there are no check valves at the meter, then it's an "open" system.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks