standpipe overflow

Users who are viewing this thread

januwan

Reaction score
This is not a new subject, my standpipe started to overflow when we wash bigger loads. If the load is small I can hear the water level rising in the standpipe. I have been using the same washer for last four years without any problems. I used foam to clean the drain but it did not help. I used the 25 ft snake twice. First I inserted it quite deep but nothing came out (there was some rust on the snake and I suspect I went into the vent). Second time I could not stick it deeper than 3 ft.
I am thinking about hiring someone with the camera. One plumber suggested "flushing" the line with multi nozzle tip (does it do the trick?)
What else can I do before I hire a Pro.
Any guidance welcome

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I can think of a couple of possible problems. First, your standpipe and drain may be too small. New washers require a 2" standpipe going into a larger main drain. Old machines could get by with 1-1/2" standpipes. Second possibility is you have a partly clogged drain. Chemicals will not clear drain clogs regardless of the many commercials that hype them. Homeowner sized hand snakes frequently will not do the job either. The drain needs a professional plumber to power snake the entire drain...clear to the street. A camera inspection would be in order if snaking did not fix the problem, but I would do the snaking first. Drain augering is not a DIY job.

januwan

Reaction score
Thanks for your comments. What puzzles me that is was working fine. The main drain is fine (I can see water flowing out of the house), the questionable line is only 25 ft long. I did not count on foams (it is good for hair only) but it was the easiest way to try:)
Yes I do have 1 1/2 pipe.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
1. A camera will be useless because it will not be able to fit into the entire line. (It will also cost more than the plumber you will need to call to unplug the line anyway.)
2. You are probably snaking from the wrong location.
3. "Foam", Drano, Liquid Plummer, etc., are useless to unclog a partially plugged line because they flow right past the problem.
4. "Multi tip nozzle" whatever that is will probably be like the camera, too big to fit all the way through the line.
5. Call a knowledgable plumber who has the right equipment and the knowledge of how and where to use it.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Try a low-sudsing detergent first...that may solve the whole issue. Ideally, the line would be 2", as is required on new construction to meet code. If the line is galavnized, consider replacing it with plastic, if allowed. The inside is smoother and less prone to catching lint, hair, etc. once it starts to corrode.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The fact that it worked for the past 4 years but is overflowing now is an obvious indicator that something has changed.

The line is either restricted with build-up and lint or you changed detergents and too much suds is causing a problem.

januwan

Reaction score
Thank you all for your comments. Here is additional information.
We always use the same detergent HE type.
I snaked from the washer end, I disconnected standpipe at the trap, there must be clean up place on the main drain line under the house, may be I should crawl under the house.
And finally how to recognize the knowledgeable plumber:)

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
You shouldn't bother crawling around under the house unless you have professional drain cleaning equipment.
You need something that will completely scour the walls of the main line, which is 3 or 4" pipe.

januwan

Reaction score
quick update

Yep, it was the soft, mad like crap in my drain pipe, we found 2 inch clean up pipe in garage. Small electric Auger did the trick. It looks like I have 2 inch drain pipe but 1 1/2 inch stand pipe. Now everything drains fine.
Thanks for your help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks