Toilet supply thru floor

Users who are viewing this thread

DavidTu

Reaction score
I'm using PEX, what fittings would one use to have a toilet supply come straight up through the floor? I only see drop-eared 90's for converting to brass before going thru the wall or floor. (I do not want to go to copper since I don't want to sweat connections.)

Can a drop-ear 90 be screwed against the subfloor from below or is there a straight-thru connector that is similarly stout to hold in place? Other solution?

I do not want to go through with PEX (or don't want it to show if I do).

Thanks.

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
Seriously?

How about a chunk of 2x4 for a block, you can still use a drop ear 90 and you wont have to sweat anything...

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Are you sure you want something in the floor?
If I want to put a supply in the wall, I drill a 2-9/16" hole below the stud wall, then loop a copper stub with a 3" piece of copper soldered onto a longer pipe. That way you aren't soldering in the wall. That 3" piece with go through a small hole in the wall, with the escutcheon and shutoff valve. Or you could loop some PEX in there too.
I wouldn't go through the floor in Seattle in less there was no other way.

DavidTu

Reaction score
I wouldn't go through the floor in Seattle in less there was no other way.

What makes you call out Seattle in this regard?

I was thinking it would not matter either way (wall or floor) as long as there were a shut off valve and firm mounting. The reason I want to do it in the floor is that there is already a hole in the Doug Fir wood finish flooring at about the right location. If we don't use the hole we have to patch it and it will not look right no matter what we do. Better aesthetically to use the hole, that's the main of it. This is for the main floor powder--so it's sort of the "showy" bathroom"--and it is over the basement so access is not a problem now or in the likely future as the ceiling below is really too low to drywall, if that is an issue. But I do need to pass code. Can you elluidate me on the issues w/ through the floor as you see it?

Thanks much, as always!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I say Seattle, because in colder climates, plumbers may want to install the water line in the floor, and not an outside wall.
In Seattle, it doesn't get that cold that you would worry about outside walls much.
If you already have a hole, sure, use it. I just find that cleaning around a pipe in the floor isn't that much fun. If you call cleaning fun.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Uponor makes a straight valve, chrome sleeve and deep escutcheon for doing exactly what you are talking about.
I believe similar stuff is available at Souix Chief also

DavidTu

Reaction score
Uponor makes a straight valve, chrome sleeve and deep escutcheon for doing exactly what you are talking about.
I believe similar stuff is available at Souix Chief also

I've seen that setup but how is the pex and/or the valve supported? Unlike a dropear that anchors everything this seems to have nothing... Does it not need some sort of anchoring?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks