View Full Version : How do I ...

10-16-2005, 01:30 PM
How do I remove this? It is the shower handle (or what's letf of it) from a Delta handle. I am replacing the shower handle and before I start breaking parts that I might need, would like to get an ideal on how to remove it.


10-16-2005, 02:10 PM
The round half-ball shaped piece is what retains the ball in the body, and it unscrews. You can get the idea from looking at this is that is might not give up easily!. Try spraying some white vinegar all over and around this. Let is soak for 30 minutes. Repeat. Don't worry about scratching the chrome because you want to replace that anyway. Be sure to hold back on the body when trying to turn.

Now, in most areas code requires that in a remodel, which is obviously in progress, that an anti-scald type of valve, such as a pressure balanced, be installed. Even if your inspector does not require it, why would you do this much work and NOT replace the entire valve. This one has lived out its' life expectancy. You want to put in something with another 20+ years of life on it.

10-16-2005, 02:19 PM
Not trying to hijack the thread, but.....I can't tell (obviously not a pro) -- are those flare fittings or compression fittings below the valve?

10-16-2005, 03:25 PM
Looks like compression fittings, above (toward to the shower head, these look plastic?) and below the valve (supply lines). Should I just get an anti-scald valve (like Jimbo said), sweat the 90s on the end and the feed up to the shower head and flare and use the compression fittings?



master plumber mark
10-16-2005, 04:20 PM
just go out and get yourself another valve

you could have noting but troubles takeing that old
valve apart and its has lived its life like others have already said

10-16-2005, 04:29 PM
I am under the impression, possibly mistaken, that compression fittings are not allowed behind a wall :confused:

10-16-2005, 05:02 PM
That's interesting. The previous owners had to access this area (possible leak?) because the closet area behind the shower had a patch job in the area where the lower compression nuts are located.

So if they are not allowed, I will need to sweat all the pieces, correct?

10-17-2005, 09:34 AM
I'd sweat all the fittings behind the wall..... You're going to be sweating new fittings for your new valve anyway....

Or, at the very least, ask your permit office/inspector if those are allowed.

10-17-2005, 11:58 AM
At this point, I would replace the darn thing.
While you have the wall all open why not make a nice access door?

10-17-2005, 12:03 PM
You must be a mind reader, I was telling the LOML last night that it would be good to put in one just in case...

10-19-2005, 08:06 AM
decided that I will replace this with a Delta 1700 series. I am also going to get rid of the compression nuts and sweat copper here.

I am going to also build an access panel (in the closet behind the shower) to access all the faucet area and was wondering if I should put shutoff valves maybe in the area where the compressions are? If yes, what type do you prefer/recommend?