Using Tankless as Main source for heat

Users who are viewing this thread

darkkhild

Modest DIY
Reaction score
Hello to everyone,
I am a newbie of sorts to this type of work and I have some questions...
The task is I am wanting to update my main source of heat for the hot water radiant system that I have. I have a Fins boiler that is from the very early 80s (1981 going into 1982) which has been a great work horse of a boiler, but it lacks today's newer means of less power usage. I have a house that was built in 1937 with 8 radiators (originally 9/ 1 was taken out), it is a Cape Cod style house with just one radiator in the top floor. The piping is all black iron from what I can see, and seems to be in good condition.

Now comes my questions:
Can I use one or two tankless (gas) heaters to power this system?
Do I need to update all of the supply and return lines to a smaller line feed (ie. pex, copper, etc...)
Can I use the existing lines and just modify and adjust the tankless heater(s) outputs to couple up the black iron?
Would a additional pump be needed to push the water to the points of need?

Any links within this site or else where is welcomed, yes I can use the search feature, but I wouldn't know where to start...

Any other ideas or concerns that could arise from these questions or just the idea itself, please post.

Also This is a idea that I have, not something that has started, I am doing my homework and would love to have any info or feedback on this.

Thank you for your time and effort to help out a newbie.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks