PDA

View Full Version : Used wrong glue for cpvc

Greg
10-15-2005, 07:53 AM
I recently installed some cpvc water lines in my attic and was not aware that I had to use cpvc glue with it. I used the green can heavy duty glue from oately. Should they be replaced or am I ok. Its only on the cold side that I installed Greg

Gary Slusser
10-15-2005, 08:35 AM
I don't know colors of cans... what plastic does the can say the cement is to be used on? If it doesn't include CPVC, replace what plumbing you used it on and use primer/cleaner and cement for CPVC. Or buy All Purpose that says for CPVC, PVC, ABS etc..

Gary
Quality Water Associates

jimbo
10-15-2005, 11:26 AM
The Oatey dark green can is PVC cement. ( Light green is the ABS/PVC transition). CPVC is orange can.

Bite the bullet and change all this. Even is the inspector doesn't catch it, you do not want any surprises in the middle of the night!

jimbo
10-15-2005, 11:28 AM
The Oatey dark green can is PVC cement. ( Light green is the ABS/PVC transition). CPVC is orange can.

Bite the bullet and change all this. Even is the inspector doesn't catch it, you do not want any surprises in the middle of the night!

Most inspectors will not accept the "all-purpose" cements.

master plumber mark
10-15-2005, 11:53 AM
I have to get into this ....

occasionally we run into cpvc and
have to be creative.cause we dont
carry that orange stuff with us...

just normal green oaty medium seems to work

very well for me, I have never had a problem in

many years... as long as it is allowed to set up for a while

and the clear or purple PRIMER is used, its never been a problem

I have seen tons of the stuff tied together
and it wasnt orange either....

but if you think this is being inspected, its your call

hj
10-15-2005, 02:22 PM
If the CPVC is in the attic or in the walls, I would not want to take the chance that the joints might separate sometime in the future.