PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing Leak - ? Where??

Braidy
10-14-2005, 11:06 AM
I live in a 2 story colonial. 7 Years ago, water came through the kitchen ceiling (which, unfortunately was drywalled and then covered with 12" x 12" tiles).

Plumber tore out the ceiling, long and short, didn't find any leak. Recommended caulking and shower doors, which we did. Following no leak, we repaired ceiling and reinstalled ceiling tiles :(

Now, just noticed spot on kitchen ceiling - different area, but still under bathroom. Now closer to wall of house (directly under bathroom sinks, vanity).

Ceiling tiles are saturated along the side of the wall (3 tiles). I don't even know who to call to pursue repair of this problem. Assuming ceiling will need to be torn out again - isn't there an easier way? Could be sink plumbing, toilet, shower?? I know water travels!! HELP!

Terry
10-14-2005, 11:27 AM
First things I would check would be:

Shutoffs at the wall, lav and toilet.
P-trap at the lav
leaks from toilets
leaks around shower valves, doors and walls.

And yes, water can and does travel, that part sucks.

plumber1
10-14-2005, 11:34 AM
Is this a stall shower or a bath tub with a shower?

Gary Swart
10-14-2005, 04:31 PM
The unfortunate thing is, once drywall is soaked, it's ruined and has to be taken out. A relatively small leak like this is darned hard to find. It would be a whole bunch easier if it was a pipe spraying water under pressure. As it is, it could be all of the things already mentioned as well as a leak in a drain pipe joint. There's no quick, easy solution, I'd take the ceiling out, clean everything up there, then try to make the leak happen. A strong flashlight is very helpful. Troubleshooting to find the leak is the hard part, fixing it is easy after you find it. The mess and etc. is a PITA.

plumber1
10-14-2005, 06:59 PM
There is no logic by starting the way your plumber did.
I'll just assume that this is the sliding doors on your bath tub we're talking about.
Before I would start cutting any holes in the ceiling, I would do a process of elimination.
Let things dry for a couple of days.
Do you have an access door for the bath tub?
If you do take a good extension light and look in the access for water marks.
That might lead you somewhere.

Do you have an access????????
Let me know, we can go on from there........