Floor of Remodeled Bathroom Unlevel - Toilet slopes and I fall off of it. :-)

Users who are viewing this thread

TomD

Reaction score
Well actually here's the deal. I remodeled our bathrooms last year. The old 1954 mudset tile floors were removed. After having removed all of the tile and mud bed my contractor laid down the Durock and then installed the tile. The problem is the floor slopes 5/16" across the 12" base of the toilet. This is very noticeable while sitting on the toilet. I want to level it out.

My question is: if I back off the nut that holds the low side of the toilet to the floor and raise that side of the toilet 5/16" will I maintain the seal of the wax ring?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
No...wax is not elastic. You'd need to remove the toilet and reset it with a new wax ring or you could use a waxless seal.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Might consider shooting the contractor that would put down a floor that wasn't level. But short of that, a waxless seal would probably be a good bet. Use door shims to level the toilet then caulk.

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
wow, i hope the contractor had a good reason for pulling up the mud bed! An uneven tile floor is a pretty common factor when installing toilets. You need to reinstall the toilet with proper shims and a new wax seal like jadnashua is telling you.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks