tub drain - trap replacement?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeremytl

Scientist
Reaction score
Hi- question about a tub trap replacement... I believe the plumbing under the tub to be original to the house (1963). I have replaced quite a few old plumbing fixtures and the tub trap is next on the list. It suddenly stopped draining and I can't work the pipe snake through this trap:

My question is basically- can I just cut through the galvanized pipe on both sides of the old trap and insert a new trap with some kind of splice to each galvanize pipe? Please advise, I am novice.
Many thanks,
jeremy

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I'm not a pro, either, but I think that is a drum trap...and if it is, you'd never get a snake through it; it is also no longer approved, so replacing it with a new P-trap is a good idea. It doesn't look like it is vented, either, so to do it right will take more than just replacing that old trap with a new one. But, if you cut it off, you could use no-hub connectors and PVC to install a new trap in place. WIthout a vent, you risk siphoning the trap, which will open the drain to the sewer and any resulting smells, gasses, etc. If you local authorities allow AAV (air-admittance valves), you may be able to run that up behind the tub wall above the top of the tub (above the flood rim by at least 6"). But, since they can fail, they must be accessable for eventual replacement (normally takes many years, but still).

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
hmm...that looks like a modified bottle trap to me. I am pretty sure they are not acceptable in any code now for a number of reasons. So long as the trap arm going to the right actually goes to a proper vent stack, you are fine to just cut out the sections and splice in a p-trap. However, since you have a nice open crawlspace, I strongly urge you to replace the entire tub drain all the way back to the main stack. You will find, that once you open up galvanized piping as old as yours, that it is fairly choked up inside with corrosion, and you are better off replacing as much of it as you can.

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
From the looks of it I would replace all the galv. and the trap, that pipe is probably nothing but rust inside

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It is a drum trap, which has been "modified", probably because someone had a problem with the original plug for it. To snake that one, you just have to remove the "test cap" on the bottom,(either loosen,or cut, the hose clamp), and send the snake up into the outlet pipe, then get a new "GemCap" test cap to seal it again. The more difficult way would be to cut the galvanized piping and insert a new trap. Whether that would tax your DIY skills is something we cannot tell. But you would probably still have to snake the line.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks