Water filtration

Users who are viewing this thread

Nebbiolo

Reaction score
Hello,

I am building a new home and cofused about how I want to filter my water.

We have Chicago water from Lake Michigan. I would like to remove the chlorine.

On some other forums, I read that using a whole house filter to remove chlorine could cause bio slime in some runs of pipe that are not used frquestly (to outdoor house bibs in the winter, basement slop sinks, etc). Is this a real concern? If so, should I just filter the water where I want to drink it?

If I filter the kitchen water only, can I use one inline filter that will filter the kitchen sink and ice maker, but not require a special faucet at the sink? Does the filter have to be a large tank under my sink or is there something smaller that I could place in the line in the basement?

I have tried to search for the answers, but haven't really found anything.

Thanks in advance,
Al

Jean Luc

Reaction score
Yes, I would just use the inline filter if I want to filter only certain areas. The "whole house" carbon system filter can be used to get the chlorine out in general but find one thats easy to maintain.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
In my opinion, whole houes dechlorination is not a good idea. You can get things growing in ALL the pipes. Use a point of use filter for drinking/cooking, icemaker. If skin allergies is an issue, you can get a shower head chlorine filter.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
I agree with point of use, but so many of us on well water have never used chlorine and our pipes are clean and remain so.

I chlorinate perhaps once every 5 or 7 years or when I open the cap for some reason, and of course very seriously when drilled [which so many do not] , and when you open my toilet tanks they are still clean porcelin without any colors.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks