Delta 1400 series leak

Users who are viewing this thread

hockeynut

Reaction score
My shower valve had been dripping for some time. I was surprised to get a free replacement from Delta, so I figured it was time to replace it. I had a hard time unscrewing the bonnet. I used vinegar to help loosen the crusty deposits, but I still needed channel locks to remove it. I don't think I was careful enough because a couple of times while breaking it loose, I noticed the entire housing would rotate slightly. I got the cartridge replaced and the water turned back on, only to find dripping directly behind the housing, at least I think it's called a housing. I was hoping that it was an O-ring type of seal, but now I fear that I broke a solder joint loose. Can anyone confirm or deny? Hopefully you can make out the picture, I had to keep croppong it to get it to fit the size requirement. Thank you.

Attachments

• 100_3132.JPG
    100_3132.JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 872

Jerome2877

In the Trades
Reaction score
You need to use 2 channel locks when removing it, 1 to hold the housing and 1 to hold the valve. You have twisted the copper connections behind the valve. The solution unfortunatly is to replace the valve.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I can, and have, repaired that problem, but it is not something for the faint of heart, or a first time DIYer. I have even done it for plumbers who have done the same thing as you did. Unless someone in your area knows how to do it, replacement might be the only option.

hockeynut

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Now the strange thing is that it has stopped leaking! Initially it was a quick drip. Then I shut the water off, put my pliers on the housing and gently tried to rotate it to see if it was loose, which it wasn't. Turned the water back on and now it was a slow leak. I was in the process of deciding how to go about fixing it, directly behind that wall is my vanity and there is no access panel, now the leak has stopped completely. Turned the water on and off several times...no leak. Sat overnight without a single drip. Perplexed.

Jerome2877

In the Trades
Reaction score
Like hj said its not fixed permanently, If you don't have access from behind and don't want to replace the tile or surround you could use a reno plate and a new valve. This can be a little tricky though you may want to have a plumber do it.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
As stated previously, the easiest repair would be to call a plumber who HAS repaired those valves in the past, (most will want to just replace the valve). He can take the old one apart and reassemble it as good as new.

hockeynut

Reaction score
Thanks hj, but c'mon, I would be missing out on a bunch of fun by just pushing the easy button.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks