What is proper location for toilet cleanout

Users who are viewing this thread

catm54

Reaction score
I have contracted a major design/build company to do a major masterbath remodel. The area was gutted and new square footage added. All was going well, until the plumbing started. Major problems with the plumber's competency! Shower pipes installed for 3 fixtures (head, body sprays, and handheld). I was the one who saw that it wasn't going to fit when the trim was later installed. They would have run or overlapped each other! That's what I'm dealing with.

My issue now has to do with where they put the cleanout for the toilet. It's in the bottom of the wall, where the toilet has to be installed against. Obviously it's going to stick out past drywall. I'm concerned that it will be behind the toilet and if it is needed, the toilet will have to be removed. Also, I believe this throws off the rough for the toilet and they will have to now put an "extender" or elbow of some-sort on the hole in order for the toilet to now fit, which is one of those Toto Neorest (all in one). Does this sound like poor planning and should I demand it be moved? Even if they have to jackhammer it up ..... which will be about the 5th redo with plumbing!

Thanks

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
A clean out would be nice to have should you have a problem. Most codes allow a toilet to be considered a clean out. So one would not be needed in the bathroom. With it being behind the toilet you would have to pull the toilet to be able to use it. Pulling the toilet would give you access to the line for cleaning.

John

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Most codes allow a toilet to be considered a clean out.

Actually, very few do that. Our code says that, in most cases, a drain must have provision for cleaning it WITHOUT removing the trap, regardless of whether it is a toilet trap or a sink trap. And anyone who has done any amount of drain cleaning knows that trying to snake through a toilet opening is one of the more frustrating processes there is. I DO get calls where the customer has removed the toilet to "save me time", and the first thing I have to do is reset it so I can determine what, and where, the problem is. But to get back to the original question, the cleanout is supposed to have a "clear area" in front of it to provide access. We either have to position the cleanout away from the toilet, (mine ofter wind up under the lavatory), on the backside of the wall, or ABOVE the toilet tank. All of these positions are acceptable. A cleanout behind the toilet, or behind the toilet tank, is NOT acceptable.

Last edited:

DavidTu

Reaction score
Is the assumption here that the stack is running in the wall and the cleanout is a 3" cleanout accessed that way? What about case where the stack is not located bethind or adjacent to the toilet? What about for a horizontal toilet run? Would you tap into the vent line (and I guess upsize it to 3" for the purpose?)... you can't use a 45-deg Wye as the closet bend and have a horiz CO there, right?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There was NO assumption about the original question. The vent line was vertical behind the toilet, and the cleanout was NOT in an acceptable location. That is not unusual, since many "construction plumbers" only know how to install pipes and cleanouts because they are required, but they have very little knowledge about HOW those cleanouts are actually used.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks