Musty odor in all drains

Users who are viewing this thread

angie

Reaction score
In followup to an answer on the post: Musty bad odor posted by Sylvia on July 25, 2002 at 00:50:53:

My home is 33 years old and recently we had our master bath remodeled and a new shower added. Shortly after this we noticed a musty odor in the bathroom and cannot find a source. Now the same odor is in the kitchen sink area. We had our septic tank cleaned but the service person said the tank really seemed to be working well and didn't really need to be empied. Can you tell me where this odor may be coming from and how to fix it?
YOUR REPLY:
Can you see water when you look down the shower drain? If not, there may not be a trap. Terry

MY QUESTION:
I am having the same problem. I poured water down the drain for the tub since it was installed a few months ago yet NEVER used. I will soon find out if this was the issue as I can check when I get home this evening. My questions are:
1. how long will it take to get rid of the oder once there is a trap?
2. I don't understand why all the drains would get this odor as they do have water in the trap. Shouldn't it only come out of the untrapped drain? Im just confused and hoping that this is the problem.

Angie

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I can think of no way sewer odor would get past properly filled traps. Is it possible there is a leak in the drainline under the house? If there is a leak, gray water would pool and smell musty. That is not the same smell as sewer gas. I would not describe sewer gas as, "musty". I've experienced dry traps letting odor in, but the smell was gone almost immediately after charging the trap with water. Check the crawl space.

angie

Reaction score
Gary
Where would the grey water pool? In the crawl space?
Im sorry, im still confused.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I assume (dangerous to do) that your drain is under the floor and over a dirt crawlspace which is the soil under the house. If there is a leak in the drain, the water that leaks out would soak into the crawlspace. A leak like this would most likely be a joint that was either poorly made or cracked.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks