Disposer Pipe Leak

Users who are viewing this thread

Scarlett

Reaction score
There is a leak where my disposer and pipe meet, but I can't figure out where it is or what to do. The washer is positioned properly, and there don't appear to be any cracks in the pipe or connector. Water leaks out from between the connector and the pipe (photo attached) but not anywhere else. Does anyone have suggestions as to what I should do/buy next? Thank you for any ideas!

Attachments

• P1150873 4x6.jpg
    P1150873 4x6.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 424

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
See if you can tighten up the nut a little further with some pliers, or if that doesn't work, then replace the disposal outlet gasket. Other than that, the only thing you can do is seal it with silicone, but I don't recommend that.

Scarlett

Reaction score
The nut is as tight as I can get it, but it still leaks. I'm not sure what the "disposer outlet gasket" is. Is it the plastic washer-type piece that fits in the end of the pipe? Thanks for your patience! Plumbing is new to me.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Is there a lip on the end of that pipe that goes into the disposal? If so, there should be a rubber gasket between it and the disposal, and the nut tightens the lip onto that gasket to keep it from leaking (sort of like the end of a hose).

If there is a plastic (compression) washer that fits around the pipe, it may be damaged or installed backwards. This type of connection uses a tapered washer, and the tapered side needs to be opposite of the nut so that the nut forces the tapered side in to seal. You can't get a good seal by trying to push on the tapered side with the nut - you have to push on the flat side.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
If teflon paste doesn't cure the symptom you have a mechanical problem.

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
You should have a rubber type gasket that goes with that joint, the tail piece should have a little lip on it, if you put a standard piece of plastic in there thats why it's leaking

Scarlett

Reaction score
Yes, there is a lip on the end of the pipe. However, there is no rubber gasket, just a hard plastic one (see photo). It fits inside the pipe. I have tried it both ways, to no avail. Should there be a rubber gasket in addition to the hard plastic one?

Attachments

• P1150875-3x5.jpg
    P1150875-3x5.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 418

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Remove the flanged end and insert the pipe into the disposal and use a slip joint washer on it. Just like the rest of the joints on the disposal waste.

John

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I am going to guess that if that joint leaked even when it was tight, that the plastic thread has a crack in it. ISE only used that connection method for a very short time.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
That disposer connection does NOT use the washer shown, which is for the models other than the Badgers or Evolution, BUT not for his, since it was one of ISEs "better ideas", (like using TORK bolts on the flange), that they used for a short time and then went back to the original.

Scarlett

Reaction score
Thank you to everyone for your suggestions. Although we tried everything, it still leaked. Upon further investigation, it was discovered that ISE Badger1 is known for such things (and other bad things). We installed a new Waste King disposer (and under-sink plumbing), and all is well. Thank you!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; We installed a new Waste King disposer (and under-sink plumbing), and all is well. Thank you!

Some would say you did NOT make an upgrade, in that case. Badger I disposers are the lowest quality, but your problem was unique to THAT particular version, not those before or after it. We use Badger 5 disposers in 95% of the installations, and I cannot remember the last Waste King I installed, and it would have had to have been furnished by the homeownere when I did.

Last edited:

Jean Luc

Reaction score
My landlord recently removed the disposer from my 2nd fl apartment because it leaked into the one downstairs. I do not know what type of disposer it was, but it was old. Rather than replacing it, they took it out altogether. Yet my rent has still gone up. :<

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about it!
If I was a landlord I wouldn't want one in a rental I owned either.

Was the disposer listed in the lease as one of the features of the apartment you would enjoy?
If not and you want one you'll have to find an apartment that does...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks