automatic water feed

Users who are viewing this thread

riceman

Reaction score
Hello Folks,

I am trying to install automatic water feeds on old Steam Boilers in Boston. These are real old asbestos covered boilers white castles, I am looking for guidance on the low water cut off wiring, I am not sure if I need to install a seperate control for this. I also was wondering if you need to mount the auto feed in a horizontal position or is vertical ok, I understand about installing a bypass loop and couplings in case of need to service along with shut off valves on both sides.

thanks

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
steam

To be blunt, you should not be working on steam systems unless you are an expert and know what you are doing, especially when it comes to the control circuitry. We do not know whether you are installing a "remote' water feeder or a combination low water cutoff and feeder. They wire differently, but a remote feeder will not have the cutoff circuit. That would be in the unit that turns the feeder on.

riceman

Reaction score
Boiler flooded

Hello,

I got home today, and my boiler has flooded. I drained about 40 gallons of water from my boiler. I isolated the auto water feed and it started back up when the water got down to about 3/4 the way on the glass. but when I turned the auto water feed back on it just started up and kept feeding, about to flood the boiler again, so I turned it off.

What is the problem, the auto water feeder or the sensor at the low water cutoff?

thanks for any info. this unit has been working fine for 5 years plus, and then all of a sudden.

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
i,m sorry but you're over your head

before you do some major damage call a pro,spend the bucks!

keep playing with this and you'llbe buying a new boiler :eek:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
leak

IF the auto feeder is connected to the bottom of the low water cutoff unit then it is probably the feeder. If the feeder is remote from the LWC, and connected with wires disconnect one wire to make the determination. If the problem is the "sensor" then that is also the low water sensor in most cases, so a problem with that could also cause a malfunctioning low water shutdown, which would be a MAJOR problem.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks