Sewage Pumps

Users who are viewing this thread

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
I just pulled my pump to check out the specs on it.

It's a 4/10 hp Flotec, model FPSE3200A...

This was originally serving a toilet + lav, but will now be handling a shower and washing machine as well, should I be upgrading to a 1/2hp or 3/4 hp cast iron pump to help out with the extra volume? We're talking just over 4' from the bottom of the basin to the drain line, through a 2" pipe.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The extra horsepower would normally only be needed to overcome extra height. If you have more volume, the pump just runs a bit longer, which would also happen with a higher hp pump, since its impeller would turn at the same rpm. But, I would NEVER consider a FloTec pump, of any horsepower, for any ejector system I would install.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
should I be upgrading to a 1/2hp or 3/4 hp cast iron pump to help out with the extra volume? We're talking just over 4' from the bottom of the basin to the drain line, through a 2" pipe.
Only if your volume increased by 0.5/0.4 = 1.3 or 0.75/0.4 = 1.9. But, check your pump curves to be sure.

Last edited:

brew24

Reaction score
The extra horsepower would normally only be needed to overcome extra height. If you have more volume, the pump just runs a bit longer, which would also happen with a higher hp pump, since its impeller would turn at the same rpm. But, I would NEVER consider a FloTec pump, of any horsepower, for any ejector system I would install.

What makes would you suggest. I have had a few in the last 15 years one being a Myers. I can't remember the make I have now but I know it has clogged a few times with hair and lint as it serves laundry, shower and toilet.

Brew

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
They are cheaply constructed with materials such as black plastic and light gauge sheet metal costing very close to the better brands which tend to use epoxy painted cast iron. Flotec will last a couple of years vs the others which with proper treatment may last for a decade or better with the purchase price often within $10 or less.

The visual below says it all

Flotec
flotec pump.jpg

Liberty
Liberty Sewage Pump.jpg

Zoeller
Zoeller Pump.jpg

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
How do they stay in business? Doesn't the word get around?

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
Flotec does have cast iron pumps as well.

I didn't buy or install it, it was in the home when I bought it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks