Flushing toilet acts like a geyser.

Users who are viewing this thread

gecko777

Reaction score
My toilet flushes so hard water comes out the bowl and onto the floor and lid which can leave an unsanitary mess. How do I adjust it to make it not so forceful?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Gecko,
Can you post a picture of the toilet in question?
800 pixels or less.

Some toilets do splash pretty badly.
I'm selling non-splash toilets in the Seattle area for $239.99 and www.savingwater.org is giving $30.00 rebates on them.
Though if I see what you have, maybe there is a simple fix too.

TOTO toilets in the Seattle area

Last edited:

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
The lid should be closed in any case. An invisible spray of contaminated water comes out of every toilet when flushed.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If it is a tank type toilet, you CANNOT adjust the force, or flow, of the flush. What you describe often happens with defective toilets which have a badly aligned jet hole so the water is directed upwards instead of into the bowl's outlet opening. You might also have some kid's toy stuck in the jet hole redirecting the flow.

gecko777

Reaction score
There's no kids toy in this toilet. Model is a St Thomas Creations Marathon II 6296. Picture attached.

Attachments

• toilet.jpg
    toilet.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 567

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
The water level looks pretty low. Is the tube inside the tank pointed down the overflow pipe, as it should be? Its purpose is to fill the bowl while the tank is filling.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It's a washdown bowl, with water pouring down from the top rim. It will be more splashy then other bowls.
But like SteveW mentions, make sure that the overflow tube is directing water into the overflow tube. That would perhaps raise the water level, so the cascade of water would be less of a drop.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
My toilet flushes so hard water comes out the bowl and onto the floor and lid which can leave an unsanitary mess. How do I adjust it to make it not so forceful?

Gecko - any news? Pls keep us posted as to whether our advice was helpful or not.

gecko777

Reaction score
I know the water in the bowl itself looks low but in the tank it's really high...way more than my other toilet (different brand). The tube is going down the pipe just fine. Here's a pic of the tank if that helps.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 421
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks