garage floor drain

Users who are viewing this thread

MF

Reaction score
I am building a new garage and would like to add a floor drain. I was told that i need to have a oil separator, and tie in to the sewer. This is just a residential garage. Is this right? do i have any other options.

3m

Reaction score
Who said you need to install it. the building inspector ?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
They don't want oil, antifreeze, etc. getting into the sewer system, or at least to limit it, so depending on where you live, I'm not surprised they want this. If your local building code enforcement people want it, you don't have much choice, and it's not a bad idea, either way.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
As far as a floor drain being required in a garage, you'd better check that with the building inspector. Required or not, if one is installed, I'm sure an oil separator would be mandated to prevent oil from being dumped into the sewer. This, and all other building code requirements, need to be discussed with your local building code agency before doing anything. Never try to circumvent them. It will bite you in the behind every time. Never mind asking us, we come from all over the country and requirements can be totally different from place to place. I think I pretty safe to say that no where would you be permitted to have a floor drain without a way to keep oil out of the sewer.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks