Tiling around a copper sink

Users who are viewing this thread

GregJames

Reaction score
I've got a nice tile sink that I'm laying tile around in sort of a garden window/ bar area. (Sounds strange but looks nice). The tile will overlap the edge of the copper sink. Because of the way the design lays out, on the left side of the sink, the accent tile (which are 1/2" wide strips) will become the border edge. These means the only substrate they will have will be the copper sink, which I expect will expand and contract given the water temperature.

How would YOU secure these tile?
I'm using a premixed thinset for the rest of the tiles. If I use it here will it stick to the copper, will the grout seem break with contraction?

I've thought of using a latex caulk, but am concerned that while being more flexible, would facilitate cracking in the grout seem.

I'm leaning towards construction adhesive like PL 400, thinking it would be firm enough to secure the tiles while being just flexible enough too allow for some expansion. Still unsure about the integrity of the grout seem on this one, and am considering just caulking the seem for the short length of the sink at this point.

Any sagely experienced advice out there. (other than change your design, knucklehead)

Regards,
Greg

GregJames

Reaction score
Well, I should clarify first that "tile sink" is a typo. It should read copper sink.
My concerns are:
1) Properly securing the accent tiles on top of the copper sink flange.
2) Keeping the grout seem between the accent tiles and the ajoining tiles from cracking

Greg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks