How NOT to remove your old kitchen sink

Users who are viewing this thread

Snowman

Reaction score
Website
blizphotos.wordpress.com
I did read and search and ask several people before I took on the project of replacing my 18 year old kitchen sink and faucet. Even did a search here on Terry's forum and read all I could about everything to be cautious about.

I wanted and hoped that I had covered every possible problem that could come up or happen. I knew the drain PVC might need a little modification. However, I had no idea for the following SURPRISE!!

I read everything that came with 1. The sink, 2. The new faucet and 3. The new grabage disposal. Then I got started. Everything went together like clockwork. sooooo, then the time came to take apart the old sink and move it out to the garage. Here's where I was not prepared, no one warned me and I had read nothing and I guess my common sense is just a little lacking. My wife went around the edge of the old sink to remove the caulk and then my son and I proceeded to remove the old sink.

First try...... wouldn't move..... I knew the cast iron sink was going to weigh around 140 pounds, so I expected it to be kinda hard to life. Second try nothing. So, my son got down under the sink and pushed up and my wife and I pulled up from above. We pulled harder, and harder................................... (I'll bet you professionals know just exactly what happened next) :rolleyes:

Well, something went POP and the sink did come up. However all the formica around the sink came up with it. Plus, it didn't just pull up at the seams, it was torn up all around the sink, anywhere from two inches to two feet from the edge of the sink. I was in a state of shock. Nowhere had I read and no one told me about the use of putty or "whatever" under the inside edge of the sink to either hold it in place and/or make sure it kept the water away from the MDF. The instructions on the new sink did not even mention using it. All the instructions said was to caulk around the outside edge. :confused:

Well, live and learn. :) So now my wife gets new counter tops to replace her worn 18 year old stuff. We are leaving now to see what's out there. I wonder if anyone is around who replaces just the formica surface?? The price would probably be the same. Any suggestions???

Live and learn, Se ya, Tom

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
sink

That is why we get the "big bucks". Forget about relaminating the tops. Either get new Formica ones or a different material. You used the "If it doesn't move use a bigger hammer" method. We use the "work smarter, not harder" formula.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
OK, I'm laughing now.

That's why I always go reeaaaaaaaaal slow when pulling those suckers.
Like that always works when things are glued down real tight.
But yes, Sometimes you just have to slow down.

New laminate can go down over bad.
Or you can take an iron and heat the old stuff off.
Like hj says though, it may look better with new board.

Snowman

Reaction score
Website
blizphotos.wordpress.com
Naw, backsplash is separate, but we have found new countertops we like..... Formica makes one now that sure looks like and has a texture of stone.

Nothing I can do about it now, water under the bridge. I sure thought 140 pounds was very heavy. I had no idea that it was stuck down.

Is that a normal procedure to stick a sink in place by putting putty and/or caulk under and/or behind the edge??

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
poly-seam -seal is very bad

I have had to use a steak knife before to
wedje under the sink and literally saw the sink free
from the top....

a serrated steak knife works pretty good with silocone...
it cuts right through the stufff and you can literally saw
all the way around the sink , except fo tthe back side.....

it usually will give with a tender nudje...

but god help you

if someone used poly-seam -seal on the top because it will
almost never --ever come up...

Last edited:

Snowman

Reaction score
Website
blizphotos.wordpress.com
Thanks Mark,
Funny, that's exactly what we used (serrated steak knife) to take the formica off the edge of the sink and cut through the caulk or sealent. Of course it was in pieces this time. :)
Thanks, Tom

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks