PDA

View Full Version : bathtub faucet turns on by itself

sproksch
10-16-2010, 02:33 PM
Hello!
I had a stem leak on the hot water stem of my American Standard bathtub valve. So I replaced the stem (and stem seat) with a brand new one (part 9C-23H/C), but the stem leak was still there. I took the stem out and put it back in a few times trying to figure out what the problem was. But now the stem leak is the least of my problems because now I canít get the hot water to stay off Ė when I close the valve and let go of the knob, the knob turns itself back on like its spring-loaded or something. I really donít know what to do Ė everything on the stem looks ok, yet this thing will not stay closed. In all my screwing around could I have damaged the stem and that is what is causing this? I really appreciate any help Ė Iíve had to turn off the hot water to the house until I figure this out. Maybe I just need to get another new stem?

Thanks!
Steve

jadnashua
10-16-2010, 02:46 PM
Dose this model have packing for the stem nut? If so, you might need to replace the packing, or tighten it down a bit more. Do you know what your water pressure is?

Redwood
10-16-2010, 03:57 PM
The packing is too tight so it is turning the stem back.

You want it to be just tight enough that it doesn't leak.

sproksch
10-16-2010, 04:47 PM
Thanks to everyone for advice! I loosened the packing and then re-tightened until it was just past finger tight, but the stem still wouldn't stay closed. I went out and got a new stem (the old lady was getting impatient) and that seems to have worked. I'm not sure how I messed up that other stem; maybe I installed it initially with the stem in the off position which I would guess could have slightly deformed the packing as I tightened it. Oh well, problem solved for now...

thanks again!
Steve