1960 American Standard Toilet Question...

Users who are viewing this thread

KRS121006

Reaction score
Hey all,
I have a 1960 American Standard ("Standard") toilet - Number inside says 4033. Its leaking water into the bowl. I've been told by various people that I need to replace the guts, but it doesn't seem like I can find parts. Others have told me its the small black ring seal that is at the bottom of the tank that is leaking. So, my question is what should I do? A guy at a box store told me that I could replace the entire thing with a Fluidmaster 400akr Complete Toilet Repair Kit, yet I don't want to go to all that work if its not needed. I know I would have to figure out if this ring is a threaded or one that simply pushes on, however, is there a place that will sell me the replacement part? Finally, I guess I'd need to know how to replace either one when I figure out what exactly I need. This is my first time posting and I appreciate your patience. Trying to save a little money for the wife and my family, but, I don't want to get in over my head.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
American Standard had at least two different flush mechanisms at that time. One was a "tower" that lifted up to flush the bowl, the other tilted. Which style, or a different one, do you have. There is seldom any need to do a "complete" replacement. Just a fill valve and a seal are all that usually have to be done. The "ring seal" at the bottom has nothing to do with leakage into the toilet, but would be a factor if it were leaking onto the floor.

KRS121006

Reaction score
hj,
Thanks for the response. My toilet has the flush mechanism that lifts up the tower. I noticed that the bottom fill valve seal seems to be pretty worn down. Any thoughts on what I need to do and where I can get parts? Also, I shut the water off to look closer, and I noticed that I can't get the supply line to completely shut off. I get a small trickle into the tank, so I guess I'll have to shut the water off to the house. I'm a bit nervous with shutting it off too hard because I believe I have galvinized pipes feeding the supply line. My only shut off for the house is at the water meter. Any other help or suggestions would be great!

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I love those "Complete Kits" that they are pushing...
They have made me some good money in the last couple of years...

• Getting homeowners replacing more than they need to...
  • Getting them in over their heads very quickly...
  • Not fitting the toilet they were purchased for use on...

Sometimes a simple flush disc or, flapper replacement turns into a major rebuild of the toilet...
Thanks Big Box Store and Fluidmaster...
This helps my bottom line tremendously.... :eek:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Most good parts stores, and maybe even Ace, has the rubber seal. You lift the tower out, and snap the new seal onto the end, after you remove the old one.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks