Moen Kirchen Faucet - going through cartridges; should I replace?

Users who are viewing this thread

frankflynn

Reaction score
I have a Moen Kirchen Faucet - it is at least 30 years old. It comes out of the wall (not the counter top). It looks like:
moen_faucet.jpg

The problem is the handle gets really stiff and difficult to move ever 3 or 4 months. I can replace the cartridge or remove, disassemble and put valve grease on the moving parts and it will be OK for 3 - 4 months then becomes very stiff again. The faucet does not leak.

I'm lived here for 20 years, this did not used to happen but even a new cartridge does not last very long.

There only two things I can think of:
1 - I am buying cheap replacement cartridges that are inferior quality.
2 - there is a plastic cap where the handle connects to the top of the cartridge which is fairly worn allowing the handle to wobble. The wobble somehow allows wear in the cartridge that is not usual. This is the only part that has any signs of wear that I have not replaced - but it is not commonly available.

Any ideas?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
If you are buying non-oem cartridges that may be it...

also if your plumbing system it throwing debris at it that maybe a problem as well.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I have had poor luck with "Danco" and other aftermarket parts for the Moen.
Try a Moen part.
My mother also has a Moen Legend faucet, installed in 1983, and I've only replace the cartridge once and that was at least 10 years ago.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The handle can become stiff because it has to slide on the fulcrum as it rotates. The cartridge should have little to do with it getting tight, especially if you are using the plastic one.

ilya

In the Trades
Reaction score
Call 1-800-BUY-MOEN and they will send a free replacement IF you are the original purchaser.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks